5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eco diesel reliability

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
Has anyone had or heard of any issues with the eco diesel long term? Any cons going with that engine on a 1500?

db252

Reaction score
I hope not since we ordered ours with it. From research, it seems this gen3 version is less problematic than the gen2 that we had in our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now saying that, ours really ran great but had a bunch of recalls that became annoying. Probably a little early to tell on this motor as it’s fairly new. Those that have had it since it came out would be the best sources of real time history.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty early to know on the gen 3 engine. If it makes you feel any better I got mine in August. I’ve put about 11,500 miles on it already, about 2,000 of that pulling my 5,000lb RV fish house and haven’t had any issues. It’s a great commuting vehicle and great towing vehicle.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I’ve had mine for over a year now, 19000 miles and it’s only been back to the dealer for oil changes. A few trucks have had issues, but it seems to be isolated. Still early to tell for long term reliability, I love mine though. Great gas mileage, plenty of power, smooth and quiet.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few reports of oil leaks and I think a failed egr cooler. Other than that not much in terms of engine or transmission failures although I am sure there is a few.

I just turned over 30000km on my 2020 with no major motor or transmission issues.

For me I had a minor transmission issue where the upshift from 1-2 was harsh which was nearly resolved by a tcm update, but is still present under certain conditions.

I have noticed a small amount of oil seepage coming from the oil fill tube on the top of the motor, and plan on bringing this to my dealers attention at the next oil change in a month or two. I’m sure I will be told that “maybe some oil got spilled and was just never cleaned up” but it has been present from the beginning and I’ve cleaned it off multiple times with just a few paper towels.

I also on rare occasions experience what I would call a dead throttle pedal, where it takes a few seconds for the motor to respond to any throttle input. This seems like a programming or emissions issue to me, and it happens so infrequently there is no way the dealer could reproduce it. So until there is a TSB out, I will live with it for now.

Overall I am very happy with the drivetrain in my truck, overall quality control could be improved tho as I have had to make several trips to the dealer for some very minor issues that should never occur on a vehicle in this price range.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few reports of oil leaks and I think a failed egr cooler. Other than that not much in terms of engine or transmission failures although I am sure there is a few.

I just turned over 30000km on my 2020 with no major motor or transmission issues.

For me I had a minor transmission issue where the upshift from 1-2 was harsh which was nearly resolved by a tcm update, but is still present under certain conditions.

I have noticed a small amount of oil seepage coming from the oil fill tube on the top of the motor, and plan on bringing this to my dealers attention at the next oil change in a month or two. I’m sure I will be told that “maybe some oil got spilled and was just never cleaned up” but it has been present from the beginning and I’ve cleaned it off multiple times with just a few paper towels.

I also on rare occasions experience what I would call a dead throttle pedal, where it takes a few seconds for the motor to respond to any throttle input. This seems like a programming or emissions issue to me, and it happens so infrequently there is no way the dealer could reproduce it. So until there is a TSB out, I will live with it for now.

Overall I am very happy with the drivetrain in my truck, overall quality control could be improved tho as I have had to make several trips to the dealer for some very minor issues that should never occur on a vehicle in this price range.
Definitely have experienced the dead pedal...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Glad to hear. I love Diesels and have owned a few, but my commute is so short that unfortunately, I would never be able to take advantage of it.

For this reason, the new F150 Powerboost may be something to consider in my case.

Cheers,

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's been oil leaks from various places on the engine, horrible throttle tuning, and a couple of fully blown engines so far if you've been following forums and social media over the last year. But until we get enough miles on them to really know, it's impossible to say that this engine is a good engine. Time will tell.... We need more time.

So far mine has been good. Only was without it for two weeks last summer for a timing cover failure/leak. Otherwise, fingers crossed....

NWRogue

Reaction score
I've had one issue, took about 4 weeks to fix. DEF warning light issue was a loose connector from the factory which resulted in a new DEF tank and pump, then the secondary issue where the 200 mile refuse to start message would not reset after they replaced the DEF tank and pump was a bad ECU (no clue why it failed, but nothing they tried reset that message). haven't done much driving since I drove back home from South Dakota after they fixed my truck, but still very happy i got the ED. based on the feedback I got for the dealership, mine was the first to have the problem with the ECU after getting the 200 mile message.

it is so nice driving through the mountains without having the engine work hard. most hills she stays in 8th gear, some longer or steeper grades it'll downshift to 7th and add a couple hundred rpm.

fmathey

Reaction score
I have (had) a 2016 1500 Bighorn with the EcoD and have had zero problems with it other than some turbo lag after they applied the Emissions "fix". But a subsequent update cured the turbo lag problem. It was so reliable I gave it to my son when I bought my 2019 Hemi (the eco wasn't yet available).

Take care of it. Change the oil regularly with the approved oil and filter and don't forget to change the fuel filter every 25k miles. BTW you will need to buy a removal tool for that. About $25 online.

The EcoD is a great engine. No complaints, it's still running strong and is a great long distance cruiser.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I have (had) a 2016 1500 Bighorn with the EcoD and have had zero problems with it other than some turbo lag after they applied the Emissions "fix". But a subsequent update cured the turbo lag problem. It was so reliable I gave it to my son when I bought my 2019 Hemi (the eco wasn't yet available).

Take care of it. Change the oil regularly with the approved oil and filter and don't forget to change the fuel filter every 25k miles. BTW you will need to buy a removal tool for that. About $25 online.

The EcoD is a great engine. No complaints, it's still running strong and is a great long distance cruiser.
Actually, for the Gen 3 all you need is a 28mm socket to change the fuel filter.

Users who are viewing this thread