5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eco Diesel in cold weather?

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Hi
I have a question for the ED owners. Do you have any problems in the extreme cold climates?
I have to travel a lot and mostly in cold climates, average winter temp is 15*F to -20*F.
I have never owned a diesel but would like to buy a 23 Limited with the ED.
Any problems?
Thanks
Tom

wiskyram

Reaction score
Never had a problem through 2 winters in Central WI. This last winter I never bothered with the grill cover and only noticed about a 5 degree difference from summer Temps for oil and coolant, so I probably won't bother putting that on anymore either. For reference I've put on almost 8000 miles since Jan 3rd so it's seen its share of cold weather miles.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Good info, thanks. I do a lot of northern Minnesota/Wisconsin travel and some Canada.
Do you add any additives to your fuel in the winter?
Tom

wiskyram

Reaction score
Good info, thanks. I do a lot of northern Minnesota/Wisconsin travel and some Canada.
Do you add any additives to your fuel in the winter?
Tom
I haven't this year. I did last year, but wanted to see if there was any noticeable difference this year. I haven't had any issues with the cold causing any kind of problems. Started up without any issues every morning.

ammdrew

Reaction score
none issue 110k in MN no reason for winter cover, it just comes off in the car wash and flaps in the wind.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues in temps as low as -38 in northern Ontario. I do run hotshot secrets diesel anti-gel during the winter months and plug in the block heater when it is below -20 tho.

LouNY

Reaction score
When I had my ecodiesel it worked good in the cold temperatures. I did add winter additives to the fuel just as I do in all my diesels.
I also used the winter front much of the time I saw much faster warmups and better mileage.

Chris3058

Reaction score
Zero issues like Sasq. Central North Ontario. Lots of routine very cold temps. Hot Shots winter anti gel every tank. EDT / Extreme in summer.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No as well. I did plug in the engine block heater on days it was below zero but I never installed the front cover MOPAR part. It did fine without it.

Paco

Reaction score
I doubt they made it for no reason. Kind of like saying,I have never done a oil change and my truck runs fine. I got 300,000 kms out of my 2014 eco and I ran a anti gel and winter front all winter.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do also run the grille cover during the winter months, it isn’t necessary on the 5th gens as they have active grille shutters. I like it to keep the ice and snow from going into the grille and coating everything with ice.

Paco

Reaction score
Like previous poster. Transmission warms up quicker and leads to increased mileage. I know when it 40 below my mileage sucks till tranny is warmed up. NOTHING wrong with being pro active. My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread