5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECM vs PCM.

Blaine Miles

Reaction score
So I have a 2020 Ram Rebel I purchased a while back. I bought it used with the remainder of factory warranty. That warranty is passed and now I'm getting a misfire on cylinder 6. Through process of elimination I believe it's issue is coming from the control. What I don't know is, is it the PCM or the ECM that controls firing sequence?
Note* I'm clearly not a mechanic but just looking for some help figuring this out.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PCM and ECM same thing, just depends on who you talk to and it can vary brand to brand. That said, PCM is what controls the firing. Before replacing the PCM, have you tried moving the ignition coil to a different cylinder to see if the code moves with it? Check the spark plugs, etc? I would go through all the easy stuff before looking at the PCM right away

Blaine Miles

Reaction score
Yessir, moved the coil and spark plug. The wire ohms out correctly as well. Still reported the misfire on cylinder 6. 😕

Users who are viewing this thread