5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easter eggs! the good and bad.

ISB6.7

Reaction score
I know much of this information is well known to our members, just my humble findings. As a former owner of 4 Cummins (two duallys) of different generations, the last 2015 3500 crew cab, SRW, 6'4", Aisin, and a recent 2018 g56 same configuration, I know many may be thinking why?, I seldom pull any trailer over 16k, the Aisin was great, no problems, just the $2600 price tag, (which none of my local dealers would give any premium at trade for it), and the every 30,000 mile maintenance, never could break the tires loose empty, but always pulled well, in my opinion the Aisin make the most sense in a dually pulling 30k, not a srw as the gvw or tire rating will run out, and the DOT will inform you about that before you will get to use the full potential of the Aisin in a SRW, thats why I went back, all my others were manuals and rowing the gears in a SRW with a no cost g56 is fine. Other points of interest, that nice front fold down arm rest with 3 drink holders disappear with the g56, (the arm rest stays, shorter) gone is manual idle up with the cruise buttons, also gone is TIP starting with the g56 ( turn the key to start and let it go, stays cranking until it starts auto only), Auto and g56 you can turn on the hill start assist, so you don't have to 3 pedel it with a g56 on a hill starting out. I do order CD players on my Tradesman's, not for the antiquated discs to listen to, but you get lower middle cushion fold up storage for the player to be installed. I did order dual alternators for a trailer winch, and also about the def heater working much better with that option as my 2015 tank froze solid and took 3 days to thaw out, this info came from the Ram truck regional service manager. My recent truck 2018, was also ordered with work grade vinyl and a vinyl floor, which I found to my displeasure when you order a vinyl floor Ram does not provide the cover over the jack and tire tools like my 2015 had with carpet $30 ordered a new one, parts checked the VIN, yup never had one. Hope this info helps, if you would like to check out my fake 2018 black sport 3500, it is on page 3 of gen 4 forum of Lets see your gen 4 trucks. Thanks!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The CD player and storage are great. Just wish they would offer the 60/40 split rear seat for the Tradesman, then it would have everything I want.

I really want a G56 4th Gen, but I don't want the Cummins. Wish the 6.4l Hemi could get it.

The black bumper/grille goes real good with the granite Crystal and Max steel, almost blending in as painted also.

Gonna have to make a decision soon between 4th Gen or 4.5, it will be a Tradesman Crew 8foot for me...now about that transmission and engine...

ISB6.7

Reaction score
Just a little more Aisin info, if you are looking for one the easy way to tell is both the engine and transmission oil dipsticks are on the drivers side and non Aisins are on the passenger side for the transmission dipstick, The chart also has some interesting info on max. trailer weight ratings, srw towing, Aisin is rated less than the standard automatic, and only 900lbs more than a 350hp g56!, where it really shines is the duallys with 4.10's, that is why I saved my $2600 for this last truck and went with g56, I just didnt need it. Screenshot_20181123-110733.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing that makes me chuckle is how the Manual used to be the HighOutput then in like 06ish that all changed

The torque management onthe Cummins sure tamed that 850 lb ft of torque. Through 3rd gear with my V10 it would be ahead, then there was no comparison.

Only thing I miss about the Cummins is exhaust brake and the sometimes better fuel mileage.

You said high idle doesn't work...did you try it with parking brake on also? That sucks if it don't.

I keep kicking around the idea of the work grade vinyl. What is your thoughts on that?

As any sane man would say I do miss the power, but now that I don't travel much over or near the speed limit and I don't get in a hurry anymore...I don't really need it at the extra cost and maintenance.

Never had trouble with the DEF tank.

ISB6.7

Reaction score
All we had in the 1970's was vinyl, grain trucks, tractors, K20 Scottsdale chevys to pull 5th wheel trailers, never got a rash from it, though I would put cloth covers on it for Minnesota cold and heat, wash the covers as needed, seats are really comfy, thought they would have been alot firmer and industrial like, happy about that!, now any spills through the cloth cover no problem and the same with the floor, guess things from decades ago still works well today!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I think work grade may be what we get. Depends if we get the 4th Gen...it already has cloth and chrome. If I order a 4.5, then it may get the vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread