5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Morning Security Cam Footage

L a r r y

Reaction score
I was scrolling through some notifications from my cameras this morning, and noticed something odd, my headlights were on!!! It was around 0518. I wasn't even thinking about waking up, nor going out to my truck. Nothing looks to have been tampered with, just the odd thing of my headlights/dashlight being on. Could this have possibly been an OTA update getting pushed or something? I've never noticed this before

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or it could have been someone testing whether they can pick up your key fob signal (and repeat it to unlock your truck). If so, they may be planning on coming back later with a well-planned theft. I'd be careful.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
bet he's not talking about the FOB being stolen, believe he's talking about protecting the radio signal by keeping the FOB in a "Faraday" box/bag.
the thief does not need the fob to steal the truck
the code can be stolen from the time it takes to get the fob into the faraday box/bag

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
These trucks have an electronic mind of their own. Who knows why they do some of the stuff they do. People are afraid of "artificial intelligence." Maybe they actually should fear artificial stupidity.

Mine's currently on a trickle charger because it kept deploying/storing the side steps overnight. The doors were firmly closed. It's garaged. Battery is new. 700 amp jumper won't even get it going.. Who knows...

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have proximity locks, and while I'm washing my truck, the water from the hose is enough to activate the sensors in the door handles. I can hear the locks physically cycling while I’m anywhere near the door handles with a hose or wash mitt. It’s quite annoying.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have proximity locks, and while I'm washing my truck, the water from the hose is enough to activate the sensors in the door handles. I can hear the locks physically cycling while I’m anywhere near the door handles with a hose or wash mitt. It’s quite annoying.
Same. That's why I take my key fob out of my pocket and leave it in the house when I wash the truck.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doubt we're looking at the same situation (especially if your truck came with the LED headlights from factory) but I just had a very similar thing happen with mine. I'm running OEM LED headlights with the Retroshop adapter harnesses. After washing my truck, I later found my DRL's were on and would not go off. Didn't matter if I turned the headlight dial to the off position or not, they stayed illuminated even with the truck parked and not running. Long story short, it was bad relays and I can only assume it happened from something getting wet that shouldn't have. Keep an eye on it and see if the issue returns. Its a dart throw guess, but it could be water related.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
My 15' does the same.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting. Did you check your update info to see if it in fact did an OTA?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the thief does not need the fob to steal the truck
the code can be stolen from the time it takes to get the fob into the faraday box/bag
I think we are both in agreement actually. We all ( I think ), know about the ability of thieves to intercept fob signals, but the OP was saying he protected his fobs as best he could. I was just trying to differentiate between protecting,(as in not leaving a fob in the truck), vs. protecting the radio signal.

Users who are viewing this thread