5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-Torque Motor/Generator Unit Seized on Highway

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All, I hope you are having a better day than me. 2020 Ram 1500, 10,000 Miles.

I was driving home on the interstate at 65mph. I had finished coming down from a hill and was on level ground. Suddenly I heard a clunk, the check engine light chime, and a downshift at the same time. I immediately notice the battery is no longer charging so I was able to turn off all the non essentials (AC, Foglights, Head-unit) and continue my drive for 25 minutes. (it was nice knowing I have at least a 30 minute reserve due with the hybrid batteries).

Today the dealer tells me my MGU (Motor Generator Unit) seized while driving, and then sheared off internally.

20210726_093801.jpg

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sucks. Hope they take care of you, should anyway. Loaner?

gisboro

Reaction score
Had that happen to me last week, sounded like a turbo spooling up at first, then a loud clunk and engine light came on. My dealership also has no loaner to be had and they said that there are only 3 motor generators available nationwide. They are telling me it will be August 16th at the earliest before I see my truck again.
I wonder if I can get them to rent a car for me, I never thought of going that route.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
In Tx if they dont have a loaner and are unable to rent the car themselves then the 30 day rule applies towards the lemon law.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Had that happen to me last week, sounded like a turbo spooling up at first, then a loud clunk and engine light came on. My dealership also has no loaner to be had and they said that there are only 3 motor generators available nationwide. They are telling me it will be August 16th at the earliest before I see my truck again.
I wonder if I can get them to rent a car for me, I never thought of going that route.

Get the part number and hop on the phone. Dealers can locate parts anywhere in the country. Once they locate one you call that dealer to secure the part. Your dealer will only do a half *** attempt at trying to locate one for you. They could careless if it’s next week or august. If you want it you’ll need to go locate it.

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
My ram cares case manager got me a new MGU coming in on August 3rd. I was able to get rental reimbursement but my case manager says they will only reimburse up to $45 per day

bud007

Reaction score
Man, that sucks . i know there are plenty of MGU units out there problem free , but this is the exact reason i would not have order the etorque if i had factory ordered my truck , just seemed like one more thing that could break . hope you get it repaired soon .

Drewster

Reaction score
Man, that sucks . i know there are plenty of MGU units out there problem free , but this is the exact reason i would not have order the etorque if i had factory ordered my truck , just seemed like one more thing that could break . hope you get it repaired soon .
Here's the thing, though - the MGU is a fancy alternator with an 80k emissions warranty. Losing the MGU is really no different than having a premature alternator failure except that it costs more while being covered under warranty longer.

By the time most of us have trucks out of warranty we'll be able to just grab an MGU from the scrap yard.

Users who are viewing this thread