5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-Torque Battery running when truck is off?

Robe81

Reaction score
Good morning all. First post here.

Have a 2024 Ram Rebel w/E-Torque. A few days ago I noticed a sound that sounds like a cooling fan behind the seat where the E-Torque battery sits. This occurred for several minutes after I turned the truck off. I cycled the power back through ACC, run and then back off and it stopped. It happened again yesterday. I did get a video that I will post if needed with the fan sound. Once again, I cycled it back through the ACC and then run and it stopped.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it just cooling the battery or something?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Neither of the etorque Hemi trucks (2020 & 2021) I owned did this. You might want to schedule an appointment with your dealership. Since it's likely that you'll be waiting for days or weeks for that appointment there should be plenty of time to gather input here if other's have had a similar problem.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Interesting. It appears that the Lion battery does have cooling fans although I've never heard them running on mine.

The small-suitcase-sized, air-cooled battery pack mounts to the rear wall inside the Ram 1500’s cabin. The case is insulated to dampen noise from the dual cooling fans. Cooling air is drawn from inside the truck and vented via the built-in cabin exhausters.

According to this article the 2019 RAM also runs engine coolant back to the differential to get the fluid hot quicker, reducing viscosity and improving (very slightly) gas mileage. Getting the various oils hot quicker seems to be a priority of RAM to improve mileage. This explains the migration to thinner and thinner motor oil.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
According to this article the 2019 RAM also runs engine coolant back to the differential to get the fluid hot quicker, reducing viscosity and improving (very slightly) gas mileage.
That's on 2WD trucks only according to that article...

"The 2019 Ram 1500 takes that strategy a step further with an industry-first patented application that uses heated engine coolant to warm up the rear axle lubricant of 4x2 trucks."

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems normal to me.
The fan exists to keep the battery cool, I don't think it's abnormal to expect it to still be running as soon as you stop charging it, it's still going to be hot depending on environmental factors.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems normal to me.
The fan exists to keep the battery cool, I don't think it's abnormal to expect it to still be running as soon as you stop charging it, it's still going to be hot depending on environmental factors.
Not debating that. Seems strange that he can hear it though. I don't have an etorque truck anymore so I'm not able to check, but have you ever noticed any fan sounds coming from the battery module on your truck, running or not? I don't remember ever hearing any fan noise coming from that area in either of the etorqe trucks I've owned.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not debating that. Seems strange that he can hear it though. I don't have an etorque truck anymore so I'm not able to check, but have you ever noticed any fan sounds coming from the battery module on your truck, running or not? I don't remember ever hearing any fan noise coming from that area in either of the etorqe trucks I've owned.
I mean I have a Borla ATAK exhaust and listen to loud music, also I am not in my truck when it's off, and I don't use start\stop very often at all to case a drain on the battery which would require it charging, and thus creating the most heat to it so I am not a good example.
But no I have never heard it.

I would be more worried about battery drain overnight. I would say if it stays on for over 15 minutes it might be a problem as it should of of been able to cool it down enough to not require the fan, as when the truck is off it's not charging via the generator.

Maybe OP will post the video of the sound, I wonder how loud it is. Maybe a bad bearing that makes it so he can't hear it but I can't hear mine?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean I have a Borla ATAK exhaust and listen to loud music, also I am not in my truck when it's off, and I don't use start\stop very often at all to case a drain on the battery which would require it charging, and thus creating the most heat to it so I am not a good example.
But no I have never heard it.

I would be more worried about battery drain overnight. I would say if it stays on for over 15 minutes it might be a problem as it should of of been able to cool it down enough to not require the fan, as when the truck is off it's not charging via the generator.

Maybe OP will post the video of the sound, I wonder how loud it is. Maybe a bad bearing that makes it so he can't hear it but I can't hear mine?
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. I don't think it's normal to be able to hear any fans in the battery module. Which is why I suggested he have it looked at. Even though we all know they'll probably just tell him it's normal. :ROFLMAO:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. I don't think it's normal to be able to hear any fans in the battery module. Which is why I suggested he have it looked at. Even though we all know they'll probably just tell him it's normal. :ROFLMAO:
I mean if I can hear on the video it ill test it on mine. It might be normal for it to run, but maybe not normal to hear it LOL.
I typically pay attention to my truck and all the noises it makes, such as the problem with the seal on my HVAC that is ultra noisy with recirc on going over 45mph that dealerships claim "we don't hear anything" and months later have an TSB that is my exact problem (that involves a $40 seal kit and removing the entire dashboard to replace)

Robe81

Reaction score
I appreciate everyones replies. I've attempted to upload the file multiple times but keep running into errors (its an iphone video so who knows). It sounds similar in sound/volume to a desk fan running. The next time it happens I'm going to wait it out and see if it stops after 15-30 min. I'll keep this updated for everyones SA.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones replies. I've attempted to upload the file multiple times but keep running into errors (its an iphone video so who knows). It sounds similar in sound/volume to a desk fan running. The next time it happens I'm going to wait it out and see if it stops after 15-30 min. I'll keep this updated for everyones SA.
You can't upload videos here, only pictures and text.
Need to put on youtube then can link here

Users who are viewing this thread