5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E bike battery explodes, burns down store.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Saw this today but it didn't happen today: “The New York City Fire Department (FDNY) has released a shocking video showing the moment an e-bike lithium-ion battery catches fire and explodes, burning out a store in Queens.”

Just a reminder about storing these batteries. While my hand tool batteries (Ryobi) seem to be just fine (never read anythng bad about them like this), the ebike ones, hoverboards, all the cheap offshore stuff is suspect. Be careful about what you have, how long you leave it plugged in and where it is stored. Lastly, check your property insurance for adequate coverage.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this today but it didn't happen today: “The New York City Fire Department (FDNY) has released a shocking video showing the moment an e-bike lithium-ion battery catches fire and explodes, burning out a store in Queens.”

Just a reminder about storing these batteries. While my hand tool batteries (Ryobi) seem to be just fine (never read anythng bad about them like this), the ebike ones, hoverboards, all the cheap offshore stuff is suspect. Be careful about what you have, how long you leave it plugged in and where it is stored. Lastly, check your property nsurance for adequate coverage.
A lot of it, is as you said, cheap made products being left plugged in to a charger that doesn't stop charging once batteries are full. I think this is why you don't see issues with cell phone(rare anymore) or power tools. The chargers, or devices, stop charging once batteries are full.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
We had one up here too but it wasn't plugged in and it was in a subway car.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
That was a really good summary (UK?) of the inherent dangers of all these devces. I have been known to leave the 10 or 20Kma phone rechargers plugged in unattended…
I had to admit I laughed at the e-cigarette ones.

All the scooters and e-bikes people are getting… man that is going to be a real issue as more people purchase.

Thanks for posting. Maybe my e-torque 48v (sadly there was no option) will become a 4th of July show some time, hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread