5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dust in box

StewRamLtd

Reaction score
I'm loving my new 2021 1500 Limited, which has the multi-function tailgate and Mopar tonneau cover. But I've got one major problem: The box fills with a heavy coat of dust after only a few minutes driving on a dusty road. From the photos you will see how bad it got after just 20 miles on gravel. Anybody experiencing the same problem? There is no weather stripping across the bottom of the tailgate, nor around the catches or the top of the doors. I'm also concerned a lot of dust is building up in the catches and hinges. The dealer says this is the way they are all built. My brother drives same roads in a similar Ram with a straight tailgate and same tonneau, and he gets very little dust.

Attachments

• 20210622_194951.jpg
    20210622_194951.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210622_195042.jpg
    20210622_195042.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210622_195058.jpg
    20210622_195058.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 117

Nomad

Reaction score
I have the same configuration on my 2020 Limited. I absolutely hate it. The cover flaps in the wind and leaks terribly in rain. I really want to replace it with a solid tri-fold but I am still waiting for something that works that I like, which I still haven't found. I don't get all the dust that you are, this is probably because I don't do a lot of driving on dusty roads. When I look at mine with tailgate open, there appears to be a lot of gaps at the front end of the cover near the cab, not sure how you can seal those gaps but I really haven't looked into it much. Good luck.

StewRamLtd

Reaction score
I have the same configuration on my 2020 Limited. I absolutely hate it. The cover flaps in the wind and leaks terribly in rain. I really want to replace it with a solid tri-fold but I am still waiting for something that works that I like, which I still haven't found. I don't get all the dust that you are, this is probably because I don't do a lot of driving on dusty roads. When I look at mine with tailgate open, there appears to be a lot of gaps at the front end of the cover near the cab, not sure how you can seal those gaps but I really haven't looked into it much. Good luck.
Surprisingly I'm not getting much moisture, even though the cover flaps at highway speeds and is a bit loose in the middle of the tailgate. At the cab end I have a very slight opening on each corner - maybe 1/32" gap. The other Rams I've checked also have a slight opening in the front corners.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I work 14 x 14 in W Texas and travel the lease roads. I have the MX4 and it got full of dust. I went back and put seals on the side as well as covered holes at hook attachments. I also bought the
seal that goes across the bottom. It helped a lot. I still get a little dust, but not much.

IMG_9050.jpg IMG_9056.jpg IMG_8111.jpg

Awood05

Reaction score
I have a Limited with the Mopar cover and full tailgate. I live out in the country on no less than 3 miles of gravel roads and get the same amount of dust as you. I just chalk it up to living in the country. Yeehaw.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Surprisingly I'm not getting much moisture, even though the cover flaps at highway speeds and is a bit loose in the middle of the tailgate. At the cab end I have a very slight opening on each corner - maybe 1/32" gap. The other Rams I've checked also have a slight opening in the front corners.

Same with mine, I plan to move the rear clamp back past the last divider, rather than before it. I saw others on here do that to get rid of some of that flap back there.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes you can get seals. They don't come with weather stripping well because it's a pickup truck and it will fill with water like a swimming pool if it was all sealed up.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I put foam around anywhere I could see light and weather stripping on the tailgate. Thought I had it covered. Went on a trip into the mountains, dusty roads. Mine looked just like yours. For every drop of water that gets in, ten times the amount of dust gets in. I am just going to suck it up and live with it. I don't use the bed that much and can always wipe the dust off of the beer cooler.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I camp at the ends of national forest roads. It never occurred to me that keeping dust out was a real possibility and I'm not OCD enough to even try. Been dealing with it for 8 years, I guess I'll deal with it till I'm done...

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
As a farmer life is gravel roads and dusty dirt roads and fields. have never had one brand od truck better than the other at keeping out dust. My 21 limited has the mft and I put weatherstrippoing aroung edges to cut down volume of dust. Only way not tohave any dust is not drive on dusty roads.

Users who are viewing this thread