5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duratrac Road Noise

JD fixes it

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted, I couldn't find a thread. I recently put some rebel wheels with the stock 33" duratracs on my 2020 Big Horn. I love the look of the wheel and the aggressive tires, but have noticed quite a howl while driving, most notably between 25-35 mph. I previously had a 2016 1500 and had Toyo Open Country AT2s on it and didn't hear a thing. Can any of you Rebel owners tell me if this is normal?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Shouldn't be that loud, but they are louder on the highway than KO2s for example. But at 25-35 mph mine are pretty silent, with a very subdued hum at 75 mph. I'm sensitive to tire noise, and they don't bother me so far.

How many miles did the person you buy them from claim they had? They get louder when they get older, but even worse if they aren't taken care off, meaning not rotated on a regular basis. Cupping will definitely make them louder as well, which can result from an alignment issue by the previous owner.

Check the tire tread, depth will give you an idea on how many miles they have already, but also if they are cupping or other thread issues.

JD fixes it

Reaction score
Yeah, they came off a 2019 Rebel, not sure how many miles. 2 looked pretty new and I put them on the back, the other 2 had some decent wear in the middle of the tire like they were a little too high pressure. I can live with it for now, just wondering if I should go back to Toyo when these are shot.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My duratracs weren't that bad until I put the level kit and new wheels(1" wider) on. Definitely got loader on highway, not sure which mod caused it but the look was definitely worth it.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, they came off a 2019 Rebel, not sure how many miles. 2 looked pretty new and I put them on the back, the other 2 had some decent wear in the middle of the tire like they were a little too high pressure. I can live with it for now, just wondering if I should go back to Toyo when these are shot.

Sounds like those two tires at the culprit for the noise, especially at low speeds. These tires are factory fit on the RAM Rebel & Power Wagon, Ford Tremor, Ranger Raptor along with the Chevy Trail Boss along with probably a few others. They are known to be great off-road, with a little trade-off on road noise at freeway speeds.

However, if you want the quietest tires, these won't be it, especially as they age.

STR

Reaction score
I had those Toyos AT2 (35s) on my Gen 4 and they’re super quiet. My Rebel w/Duratracs is a tad louder, but still barely noticeable. Perhaps you’re missing a wheel weight, stone in the tread, etc... Is the truck tracking straight?

JD fixes it

Reaction score
Sounds like those two tires at the culprit for the noise, especially at low speeds. These tires are factory fit on the RAM Rebel & Power Wagon, Ford Tremor, Ranger Raptor along with the Chevy Trail Boss along with probably a few others. They are known to be great off-road, with a little trade-off on road noise at freeway speeds.

However, if you want the quietest tires, these won't be it, especially as they age.

These are the tires, the first is on the rear and the second is on the front

Attachments

• 5452994E-4DC4-4A5B-9471-F9B373498F68.jpeg
    5452994E-4DC4-4A5B-9471-F9B373498F68.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 68
  • B7289FD1-0719-46BD-AF33-D0EFED57C84F.jpeg
    B7289FD1-0719-46BD-AF33-D0EFED57C84F.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 68

JD fixes it

Reaction score
I had those Toyos AT2 (35s) on my Gen 4 and they’re super quiet. My Rebel w/Duratracs is a tad louder, but still barely noticeable. Perhaps you’re missing a wheel weight, stone in the tread, etc... Is the truck tracking straight?
Yeah, it tracks fine and I had them balanced when I had my TPMS swapped from my stock wheels. I’m thinking it’s likely due to the center wear on the front two.

Users who are viewing this thread