5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb Ram warranty stipulations?

Jewbacca_l92

Reaction score
Post is intended to draw attention to similar issues with Ram trucks not being backed by the warranty.

I’m copy/pasting this from Facebook so we can trash talk Chevy and maybe learn some things ourselves. Anybody know of any similar caveats to using a Ram truck for its intended purpose?

“A friend of mines Chevy Colorado with 10k miles was towing a 2100# camp trailer on a dirt road and hit a bump. This is the result. GM sent out an “investigator” 6 weeks later and has denied any warranty claims. They state the “the truck has 1” taller tires as the first reason. The second reason is the trailer is 2100 pounds, in the owners manual it states that trailers over 2k pound should have brakes. (Towing capacity listed as 5k) Since hit trailer is 100 pounds overweight and doesn’t have brakes that’s what the frame bent. No other damage to truck.
GM’s investigator took trailer to a certified CAT scale. Trailer is 2100lbs. Tongue weight is 347lbs.
Think twice about that Colorado purchase if you actually use your truck as a truck.

Please share everywhere.”

So yeah that’s pretty messed up. Discuss.

Attachments

• D34677B0-2F3E-45D1-A549-279B9F7048C7.jpeg
    D34677B0-2F3E-45D1-A549-279B9F7048C7.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 1BD686BF-A4C6-421C-8CEF-383F41ED5C22.jpeg
    1BD686BF-A4C6-421C-8CEF-383F41ED5C22.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 167
  • B8EBFF51-B0FC-485D-82BA-84FAAEB8762E.jpeg
    B8EBFF51-B0FC-485D-82BA-84FAAEB8762E.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 1C92D192-8D03-4C9C-A110-8CCE738FA84F.jpeg
    1C92D192-8D03-4C9C-A110-8CCE738FA84F.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

freerider969

Reaction score
That is sad and very aggravating! I hope the owner shares it everywhere he can, in the hopes Chevrolet will buy it back to save the embarrassment.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Kinda sucks. Wonder what the tongue weight was. And curious of bump and speed. I’d call my insurance guy.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Might be able to cover it under insurance. Its been like 25+ years since I was in the business (27) but “collision” was striking or getting struck by something and everything else was comprehensive. Try it.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with anything related to Ram at all... (Should be in Off Topic) And it has nothing to do with Chevy's warranty either. There is zero information about the frame damage, (did it snap, bend, shear, etc etc) actual vehicle load when damaged, (how much gear was in the bed, that's payload too) and how the truck was being used. Unfortunately, only the people there when it happened know, and I'd suspect if they TRULY believe what they're claiming, then they should also play the lottery and be VERY worried about lightning, because the odds of that happening the way they describe are pretty absurd.

Jewbacca_l92

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with anything related to Ram at all... (Should be in Off Topic) And it has nothing to do with Chevy's warranty either. There is zero information about the frame damage, (did it snap, bend, shear, etc etc) actual vehicle load when damaged, (how much gear was in the bed, that's payload too) and how the truck was being used. Unfortunately, only the people there when it happened know, and I'd suspect if they TRULY believe what they're claiming, then they should also play the lottery and be VERY worried about lightning, because the odds of that happening the way they describe are pretty absurd.
Anybody know of any similar caveats to using a Ram truck for its intended purpose?

It bent, there are close up pictures I just added to the post.

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I had to guess, some whoops at a speed that was less than optimal caused that. Probably a perfect storm of whoops, trailer, speed, and luck.

barr0208

Reaction score
a friend at work told me his friend loaded up his chevy (new model) and the frame bent in the middle.the load would have to be pretty drastic to bend a frame or im guessing the junk gm is putting out is not safe.their new gm 1500 trucks don't cant even pass ihs safety standards .they are just acceptable.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw it on social media so it must be true! :ROFLMAO:

I always question these types of posts. When it begins with "a friend" there goes the real first hand experience. I sometimes wonder if these posts are made on social media just to damage the reputation of a brand and if this is actually something that a competitor does in their marketing budget.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always question these types of posts. When it begins with "a friend" there goes the real first hand experience. I sometimes wonder if these posts are made on social media just to damage the reputation of a brand and if this is actually something that a competitor does in their marketing budget.

Illuminati at work

Vespid

Reaction score
Pics of the letter from Chevy/GM or it didn't happen. In the first place, it's highly, HIGHLY suspect that a GM investigator used 1" over stock tire size as a data point for refusing warranty claim against a defective frame on an otherwise stock suspension truck. That's almost within manufacturing tolerances between different manufacturers for a given tire size. So I guess GM warranty is void once your OEM stock tires wear down a 1/2" of tread? Now you're an inch under stock size diameter. A community college lawyer could fight that without getting out of bed.

GATORB8

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread