5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb oil question

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
What is the difference between full synthetic and premium synthetic?

seems FCA/dealer are asking $20.00 more for premium synthetic vs full synthetic oil changes.

I know that there are blends but I did not realize that there is a premium synthetic?

I am going with a dealer oil and filter change just for the cost and ease/lack of hassle. I found a plan on the Mopar site for 2 services within 1 year for $65.00, yes the heim will be slightly more but heck I can’t purchase the filters and oil for that price, not to meant getting rid of the old oil and filter.

Nibis

Reaction score
Sounds like their calling the Synthetic Blend, Full Synthetic, Premium would be the real Full Synthetic

river rat

Reaction score
Most synthetic brands offer different versions, i.e. Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Protection. The EP version is a little more expensive, but both are full synthetics.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haven't ever heard those terms being used as a comparison to each other. I've always considered them to apply to the same oil.

Usually do my own oil changes, but have occasionally taken a vehicle in for that service. When I do, I always provide the oil for them to use. Dealerships buy oil in bulk, and usually buy whatever is cheapest but still qualifies for whatever their definition of oil is. I only use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my truck, so that's what I would provide. My Audi uses a European spec full synthetic, so I provide that oil for the oil change. The dealership reduces the cost of the oil change service accordingly. I try to avoid the free oil changes that dealers offer.

Paultg

Reaction score
Haven't ever heard those terms being used as a comparison to each other. I've always considered them to apply to the same oil.

Usually do my own oil changes, but have occasionally taken a vehicle in for that service. When I do, I always provide the oil for them to use. Dealerships buy oil in bulk, and usually buy whatever is cheapest but still qualifies for whatever their definition of oil is. I only use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my truck, so that's what I would provide. My Audi uses a European spec full synthetic, so I provide that oil for the oil change. The dealership reduces the cost of the oil change service accordingly. I try to avoid the free oil changes that dealers offer.
Do you ask for the empties back to sort of insure they put your oil in?
Do you have the oil tested?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you ask for the empties back to sort of insure they put your oil in?
Do you have the oil tested?
No, I've never asked for the empty oil bottles back. I'm not really sure why I would. I have no reason to suspect they wouldn't use my oil. What would be their motivation for doing that? It's not like they'd make a lot of money selling it on the black market or something LOL. I have a great relationship with my service advisor, and have no reason to distrust them.

I have sent oil samples in for testing in the past for the 2017 Rebel I used to own, but I don't regularly do that.

Paultg

Reaction score
Just wondering how you’d know they use your oil. Glad you are comfortable with them. That’s awesome.
I had a friend go to a dealer and pay for full synthetic (oem required) on a Subaru. Had oil tested and found out it was not what he paid for. So frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread