5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb AFE question.

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
So I ordered an AFE CFI. Put it all together. So with the seal on and the hole for air intake being the same... How is the air "cold" and how is it getting more volume if it is coming through the same hole? Comments, sarcasm, flames awaited.

Ranger

Reaction score
Cold is relative. The materials and geometry in your aftermarket intake are less susceptible to heat soak than the OEM air box. Less heat transfer from engine bay to air intake results in a net lower inlet air temp over stock. It's not cooling the air, it's just keeping more engine bay heat out of the air. Remember, heat transfer is always hot to cold. 1st law of thermodynamics stuff. Ice doesn't cool your glass of water; the water heats the ice. Hot to cold.

The higher flow is from a less restrictive filter design, and less turbulent flow from filter to throttle body as compared to factory set up.

The difference in degrees F and cfm flow are marginal, but allow aftermarket to advertise the way they do.

gcscott

Reaction score
So I ordered an AFE CFI. Put it all together. So with the seal on and the hole for air intake being the same... How is the air "cold" and how is it getting more volume if it is coming through the same hole? Comments, sarcasm, flames awaited.

You have nailed it and not a dumb question. You have very little incress in air being pulled through the same size hole as with the OEM air box. The CAI just has more filter area and an insulated less restrictive tube supplying the air to the throttle body. That is why I went with the Vararam Air Grabber intake . If you get any benefit of a true CAI this would be it. See my post with a Vararam Air Grabber intake with mods and pictures. https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/vararam-air-grabber-intake-installed.6290/post-138293

Last edited:

whetrick1

Reaction score
You have nailed it and not a dumb question. You have very little incress in air being pulled through the same size hole as with the OEM air box. The CAI just has more filter area and an insulated less restrictive tube supplying the air to the throttle body. That is why I went with the Vararam Air Grabber intake . If you get any benefit of a true CAI this would be it. See my post with a Vararam Air Grabber intake with mods and pictures. https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/vararam-air-grabber-intake-installed.6290/post-138293

Hey they all claim the same thing I've seen where people are problems with the base of the vararam Intakes cracking. It all of what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread