5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual Alternators

OVERLAND MIKE

Reaction score
I have a 22' Ram 2500 that I would like to put high power dual alternators in. I know RAM offered it as an option but has anyone put them in after. Do I need special brackets? And if so which brand and how many amps did you put in? Thanks

ch53e mech

US Marine. Very grateful to everyone for the help!
Reaction score
The explanation is very long so to make it short...12v + 12v = 24v, 24v + 24v=48v. A component will only demand amperage needed unless there is a short. Without a fuse to stop it from demanding too much amperage when it shorts out, it will catch fire. I really wouldn't recommend trying it unless you have some serious electrical knowledge. I have a lot of knowledge in the category and still wouldn't do it without factory components to run both in hand. If one is going to run the truck and the other is for Auxillary items only with a separate fuse box then I say go for it.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The explanation is very long so to make it short...12v + 12v = 24v, 24v + 24v=48v. A component will only demand amperage needed unless there is a short. Without a fuse to stop it from demanding too much amperage when it shorts out, it will catch fire. I really wouldn't recommend trying it unless you have some serious electrical knowledge. I have a lot of knowledge in the category and still wouldn't do it without factory components to run both in hand. If one is going to run the truck and the other is for Auxillary items only with a separate fuse box then I say go for it.
That is not correct. Dual alternators do not create 24V. They are in parallel, so the voltage stays at 12V. Same with batteries, parallel, 12V

OVERLAND MIKE

Reaction score
I am going to be running a lot of electric and lights and all kinds of stuff when this is done being built out as an overlander. The winch alone takes a lot of amperage. I know this comes as an option but mine didn't which is why i want to upgrade it and have a second one put in, so i was just wondering if anyone else out there has done this. I have 2 batteries, both 12v not 24v.

ch53e mech

US Marine. Very grateful to everyone for the help!
Reaction score
Frequency and voltage have to match to parallel two electrical sources. In parallel you are correct that it would remain 12v but there is a lot more to running two alternators in parallel than just wiring them together. HD forum would be best place to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread