5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drove a 25’ 1500 Laramie with the hurricane engine yesterday.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
As the title says I test drove one yesterday. The engine is fantastic to drive, throttle response is amazing and butter smooth with zero lag or hesitation. I plan on ordering a limited I can’t even imagine what it’s like to drive a H/O. Everyone who is complaining about the hemi being gone needs to go drive one of these new trucks,minus the exhaust note the truck drives better in every way.

Arth

Reaction score
Currently driving a 24 Wagoneer L with the S/O. Certainly does feel more powerful than the Hemi. Fuel mileage over this 500 mile or so trip is comparable to my 23 Ram with the 5.7.

I'll be interested in the longevity. This engine does run cooler than my Hemi.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
Currently driving a 24 Wagoneer L with the S/O. Certainly does feel more powerful than the Hemi. Fuel mileage over this 500 mile or so trip is comparable to my 23 Ram with the 5.7.

I'll be interested in the longevity. This engine does run cooler than my Hemi.
The inline 6 is one of the most reliable engines ever made. The only reliability problems I can think of would be from the turbos but even then you’re talking 100k plus miles. RAM either has such faith in the quality of this engine that they don’t care about completely dropping the Hemi out of the lineup or are gambling with their future/reputation.

Arth

Reaction score
The inline 6 is one of the most reliable engines ever made. The only reliability problems I can think of would be from the turbos but even then you’re talking 100k plus miles. RAM either has such faith in the quality of this engine that they don’t care about completely dropping the Hemi out of the lineup or are gambling with their future/reputation.

I'm sure you're talking more about the diesel applications or even the old 4.0's that were inline 6's but weren't turbo charged.

For this particular application I think the jury is still out. I do think they are gambling a bit but then again they have pretty much told us it's not going to last as long.

What I mean by that is they lowered the powertrain warranty from 100k to 60k on the Hemi for marketing to keep up with the others even though, generally, the Hemi could easily go past 60k without major issues. Now with this more complicated inline 6 has to make it past 60k and there you go that's good enough. Gone are the days of the 3rd gen Hemis easily running past 200k with good maintenance before throwing a major issue.

I am hopeful this new engine does prove itself as I am enjoying my experience with it so far in this Wagoneer L.

Checker629

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about long term reliability of the Hurricane. Other features of these trucks will likely go bad well before the engine. I predict it will have some teething issues like every new design but that can happen to naturally aspirated motors as well. The mechanics of a turbo are not inherently complex (two moving parts really- impeller/turbine and wastegate). It's the control systems that are more complicated.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This engine does run cooler than my Hemi.

Replace the thermostat with a 180 in your hemi and check again. The knuckleheads at Ram are forcing the hemi to run hotter than it needs to.

I'm running a 180 and removed the grill shutters and my coolant sits at 85C/185F and my oil sits at a max of 92C/197F. And it was perfectly fine in the winter too, never noticed any difference with my cabin temp set to 18C/64F. But I didn't try this in Alaska so YMMV.

That's moving on the freeway/city, if I'm sitting still or towing up a grade it will climb but you can still tune the fan to come on sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread