5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropped oil filler cap into engine bay, any ideas?

JakeHagg25

Reaction score
So the other day I was replacing my fuel injectors (already had two fail on me at 40k miles so I decided to do the rest) and in the process I had to take the oil fill cap off. Unfortunately for me when I took it off it fell and I didn't get a chance to see where it fell into. It never hit the ground and I quite literally spent an hour looking to no avail.

So now I turn to you all, does anyone have any suggestions for where it may have gotten stuck? I went so far as driving my truck up and down the driveway to maybe knock it loose but no dice.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get a flashlight and start looking. Record video on your phone and wave it around all over slow and watch the video on a larger monitor and see if you can find it.

I found 2 oil caps lost in our work truck engine bay when I had to replace the AC compressor. If they don't fall out they stay put.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If just get a replacement and leave the other one. It’ll turn up or fall out on the road. I had a similar thing happen to me with a 15mm socket. I never saw it again.
At least with a socket you can go magnet fishing.

bskubon

Reaction score
I’d worry it would hit like the fan belt and cause an issue

ben b

Reaction score
Do you think an endoscope would help? Amazon shows multiple at less than $100. Might come in handy for other projects too.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think an endoscope would help? Amazon shows multiple at less than $100. Might come in handy for other projects too.
Turn on your flash on the phone and just take video slowly and go around it. Tape it to a yard stick if you need to get in deep. Watch it on a pc and you'll find it if it is in there. I have an endoscope and it excels at getting a view in tiny things ( like inside body parts, pipes and tires ). It's not a good camera. any phone will blow them all away in clarity, if the phone can fit.

Users who are viewing this thread