5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop shank size

Jay6.4L

Reaction score
Just traded in a 17 RAM 1500, crew cab 4x4 for a 19 RAM 2500, crew cab 4x4.

We have a 22’ travel trailer that the WD hitch was set up for. Since the new truck sits higher I am in need of a drop shank. I failed to measure the old trucks hitch height so I’m not sure what drop to get for the new truck.

What size shank are some of you using?

Thanks

Wileykid

Reaction score
Couple of things you can do. Look up the specs on both trucks and see what the height difference is. Also, do you have the same size wheel. Looking at those will at least give you an idea of the amount of drop you may need. Buy a drop hitch that can do what you figured, and maybe an inch or two more.

Or maybe the dealer may still has the vehicle, and go measure it.

I just bought a '19 3500 to replace my different brand 2500 truck. My measurements show the difference in height of 2 1/2" (really did not do a good job measuring though). The tires are 20" on the 3500, where my 2500 was 18", so there is the 2" of difference at least(ish). I know the truck should not squat as much, so I am going to initially lower my wdh 3" lower, and bought a drop down shank that will allow me to go up to 5" lower. Will go to some flat area and set it up proper before taking it out on the road though. This will at least hold me until I get a 5th wheel.

Jay6.4L

Reaction score
I took some measurements today.

Ground to top of receiver is 24”
Ground to top of ball coupler is 23 1/2”
Ball height from there it mounts on the WD hitch head is 3 1/2”

Equalizer has a calculator on their site but I’m using a Husky Centerline hitch. EQ is saying 6” drop or 10” rise.

Wileykid

Reaction score
Interesting. The top of my 3500 CC 4x4 receiver is 23 1/2".

If you go to the Husky manual, they have the calculations in the front of the manual. Measure the top of the trailer coupler socket (with it level), then subtract 8", that will give you the height of where the bottom bolt of the ball assembly should be on the shank measured from the ground.

I also use the Husky Centerline.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread