5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving with Bakflip MX4 in full open position

CupraR32T

Reaction score
Hello,

i've a '23 TRX Sandblast, with a Bakflip MX4 cover. I use my car to haul my racebike to the track. So i ride a lot with the cover fully open.
But what tends to happen, the cover doesnt stay against the window. It flaps around in the wind. Even that much, that the first panel is bend now.

Do other people have the same experiences? Or someone have pictures with your cover in the open position? I'll post a video from the cover in my rear mirror while driving.

Burns1200

Reaction score
I have an MX4 but no need to drive with it open yet. Do you have both the support rods in place and tight?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use to have one before getting a different cover. I never had an issue driving around with it open. I used the rods and the straps.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

i've a '23 TRX Sandblast, with a Bakflip MX4 cover. I use my car to haul my racebike to the track. So i ride a lot with the cover fully open.
But what tends to happen, the cover doesnt stay against the window. It flaps around in the wind. Even that much, that the first panel is bend now.

Do other people have the same experiences? Or someone have pictures with your cover in the open position? I'll post a video from the cover in my rear mirror while driving.
Fully open it would cover the back window. Are you using the struts to keep it open?
mx4.jpeg

Last edited:

O'Town Ram

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Check out this video, it is a 4 panel but works the same. Good luck

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I’ve road with mine fully open up against my back window several times and have never had any issues with it flapping as the rods hold it up against the back window

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

This is one of the reasons I don't like tri-fold tonneau covers, and prefer my roll up one.

O'Town Ram

Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I don't like tri-fold tonneau covers, and prefer my roll up one.
In all fairness, how would a roll up cover react if it were not properly secured in the open position?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In all fairness, how would a roll up cover react if it were not properly secured in the open position?
I've driven down the freeway at 80moh without the straps in my roll up and it stayed in place against back of cab. Grsnted, depending on my driving it could move. But at least it's not blocking my view out the back window.

CupraR32T

Reaction score
I have an MX4 but no need to drive with it open yet. Do you have both the support rods in place and tight?

They are both in place, and even so tight, the holder almost tends to bend. I've tried everything to stop the flapping around.

Fully open it would cover the back window. Are you using the struts to keep it open?
View attachment 165874

It does cover the rear window, but my rearview mirror is a camera, thatswhy i still can see in the mirror

I’ve road with mine fully open up against my back window several times and have never had any issues with it flapping as the rods hold it up against the back window

What's the maximum speed you are driving?

It's secured as the manual states. There must be something wrong with my cover then. I'll go back to the dealer who sold the car to me with the cover.

O'Town Ram

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine will stay up at 80mph no problem. Must be something wrong with your cover. Hopefully something simple. Bak has great customer service.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
They are both in place, and even so tight, the holder almost tends to bend. I've tried everything to stop the flapping around.

It does cover the rear window, but my rearview mirror is a camera, thatswhy i still can see in the mirror

It's secured as the manual states. There must be something wrong with my cover then. I'll go back to the dealer who sold the car to me with the cover.
Yeah I’ve drove im sure as fast as 70 or so with mine up as I’ve been on the interstate with it up

O'Town Ram

Site Supporter
Reaction score
really curious to see what is happening.
Would love to see a picture of your cover opened with the struts in place.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Your cover us improperly installed. In the open position the cover should be hitting the metal of your cab woth the foam installed on it, then the 2 posts stick into it to prevent it from moving forward.
It CAN'T move when properly installed as it's against your can, and the other rods are attached to the rails which are clamped to your truck.

Possibly check if it can be moved backwards, there are 2 screw knobs to release it and it will slide back, it is possible one or both rotted out. Mine rusted really bad after 4 years (not the cover but the screw hole area)

Realtruck

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that your MX4 isn't operating as expected when fully opened. This should not be the case, as the support struts are designed to keep the cover in the fully upright position even while driving. Please PM me or email me at [email protected], I'd be glad to take a closer look at that for you to troubleshoot this issue.

CupraR32T

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that your MX4 isn't operating as expected when fully opened. This should not be the case, as the support struts are designed to keep the cover in the fully upright position even while driving. Please PM me or email me at [email protected], I'd be glad to take a closer look at that for you to troubleshoot this issue.
I've send an e-mail with some pictures!
The dealer decided to swap my cover for a bakflip revolver x4s, so i'm a happy customer again, and ready for a 6.000km roadtrip

Users who are viewing this thread