5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving in snow

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in Chicago and we're supposed to get 8 inches of snow this weekend, will my truck be ok? I have the toyo at3 tires, will I need to go into OR2 mode? Should I use 4lo to be safe?

Just kidding everyone, relax. :D ....hope everyone has a great new year!

mcd3620

Reaction score
I'm in Chicago and we're supposed to get 8 inches of snow this weekend, will my truck be ok? I have the toyo at3 tires, will I need to go into OR2 mode? Should I use 4lo to be safe?

I just heard one forecast model say 11-14 inches....... By the way if you don't mind me asking, what dealer did you go thru to get your limited.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just heard one forecast model say 11-14 inches....... By the way if you don't mind me asking, what dealer did you go thru to get your limited.
I hope it isn't that much, but can't complain since we haven't had any real snow yet. Correction, I can and will complain about it. LOL
I got my truck from Marino, I've been getting my cars from there since '09. Let me know if you need a salesperson.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
When I lived a bit further north the Lowe’s etc. sold sand in long, skinny bags, 50 pounds each. I always bought four and arranged them around the rear wheels. They made a big difference. If you get stuck, pouring some of the sand on the ice/snow might help too. Come Spring I just poured them in a low spot in the yard rather than store until next winter.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score

100 percent 4 low, I put that shhhh on everything

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I lived a bit further north the Lowe’s etc. sold sand in long, skinny bags, 50 pounds each. I always bought four and arranged them around the rear wheels. They made a big difference. If you get stuck, pouring some of the sand on the ice/snow might help too. Come Spring I just poured them in a low spot in the yard rather than store until next winter.

Up here is a chain of large Lowes-type stores called Menards. They sell 70-lb "sand tubes" (skinny bags). I used to have four to five of them for my previous trucks (especially my 2014) for extra traction, as even with good tires, it helped a lot. They'd usually last two winters before leaking/tearing.

In my '20, I haven't had a need for them. The 4WD is way better (and maybe the Falken tires?) then my 2014, they definitely improved the transfer case over the 4th gens.

Last edited:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Up here is a chain of large Lowes-type stores called Menards. They sell 70-ft "sand tubes" (skinny bags). I used to have four to five of them for my previous trucks (especially my 2014) for extra traction, as even with good tires, it helped a lot. They'd usually last two winters before leaking/tearing.

In my '20, I haven't had a need for them. The 4WD is way better (and maybe the Falken tires?) then my 2014, they definitely improved the transfer case over the 4th gens.
Menards is the sh*t! They have them here too, great store.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Up here is a chain of large Lowes-type stores called Menards. They sell 70-ft "sand tubes" (skinny bags). I used to have four to five of them for my previous trucks (especially my 2014) for extra traction, as even with good tires, it helped a lot. They'd usually last two winters before leaking/tearing.

70-ft? I bet they were a pain in the butt to handle. 😃

Redtrucks

Reaction score
Of the past 10 plus 4wd vehicles that I’ve owned I have never used 4 low for driving thru snow on paved or gravel roads in rural ND where we see our fair share of snow. Used 4 auto and if you don’t think that your getting enough traction go to 4 hi.

ChrisID

Reaction score
about a month after I got my 21 limited, we got 30" here in the NE, early last year. I was on the road at the time, and would be back about mid-way through the storm. The truck did great with the brandy new falkens. I was a little concerned about the state my driveway entrance would be in when I got there with the plows building it up for half a day.
I'm gonna say it was about 18-22" when I got there. Put the truck in its high setting, locked the rear, she blew right through with little hesitation other than the plowing the front did. Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread