5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drivers side front floor water leak

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this issue has been brought up before, but at just over two years into owning my truck I noticed I have a water leak in the front drivers side of my truck.

I’ve never had issues with wet carpet, and have checked it many times over the last two years. Just the other day I was cleaning my truck and decided to remove the sill panel to do some spring cleaning and I noticed it was wet. After lifting the carpet I noticed the under pad and sound deadening that is glued to the floor was soaking wet.

I thought maybe I water got into there off my rubber mats, so I left the carpet lifted up overnight for a couple of nights to dry. Today it rained again, upon inspection I can see fresh water trickling down the seam from up under the drivers side kick panel somewhere.

Back to the dealer she goes! Glad I bought an extended warranty, because this is getting ridiculous.

You can remove the sill panel easily by lifting up at the rear of it and working your way to the front where two more clips hold it in, just pull back and it comes right off. You can then just lift up on the carpet but the black clips that hold it down and lift the carpet to check it out, I’ve never had wet carpet so I thought I was fine, I guess not.

Attachments

• B6FB1E25-B547-4977-B096-743FE629673D.jpeg
    B6FB1E25-B547-4977-B096-743FE629673D.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 7C07DD13-F636-4808-BBF0-DE38CA8CB852.jpeg
    7C07DD13-F636-4808-BBF0-DE38CA8CB852.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 99

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently water leaks aren’t covered by mopars own extended warranty, even if it’s a known issue with star cases available for this exact issue.

I opened a case with customer care Canada and I guess I’ll wait and see what they say. If the issue is the one described in the star case it’s an easy fix, just pull the fender and spray some sealer on the seam.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Lots of ifs to deal with on fairly new trucks, it’s very frustrating. Did you buy it used? One would think that at 2 years in most things should be covered.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought it new, original owner. Problem is I’m over the mileage for the basic warranty. My sales guy convinced the service department to try and get it approved seeing that I’m still under the 3 year mark and only 6000km over the basic warranty mileage.

On the other hand, I can also trade it in paying off the current loan and then some. Use the Chrysler employee discount and get into a new 2022 built the exact same for only a few dollars more.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We’ll I decided to give ram another attempt at building a reliable truck. I built an identical truck and got lower interest combined with trade in value and discounts my payment will be less than it currently is. 3-4 month estimated build time but with a couple phone calls to a buddy at the Sterling Heights plants it’ll be a lot less than that.

mhendo

Reaction score
Do you happen to have a sunroof? If you do, the drains may be clogged. I had a similar issue and it ended up being the drains. I did have a few drops of water on the A-pillar though, which pointed me to the sunroof drains.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a sunroof? If you do, the drains may be clogged. I had a similar issue and it ended up being the drains. I did have a few drops of water on the A-pillar though, which pointed me to the sunroof drains.
No sunroof, it’s odd tho because it has rained several times and I’ve went through the car wash multiple times since noticing the water and it hasn’t been wet again.

JCR1500

Reaction score
Hi. I just noticed my driver side floor wet and the passenger floor a little wet and I do have a sunroof on my truck. Did you clear the drain lines yourself and if so how did you do that? I'm thinking this is the case with mine because of where the water started..right at the bottom of the kickpanel. The sunroof must still drain even if the sunroof is closed huh?

Thanks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The drains are there primarily because it's difficult to completely seal a sunroof when it's closed. It's possible there is an issue with the drains on your truck. But you should be aware that there was a known issue, mostly on early 5th gens, with a seam in the driver side cowl area where water can leak into the cab. There are a couple old threads about the issue, and I believe there was even a service bulletin for it. What year is your truck?

mhendo

Reaction score
Hi. I just noticed my driver side floor wet and the passenger floor a little wet and I do have a sunroof on my truck. Did you clear the drain lines yourself and if so how did you do that? I'm thinking this is the case with mine because of where the water started..right at the bottom of the kickpanel. The sunroof must still drain even if the sunroof is closed huh?

Thanks
I did clear the drains myself. It's a really simple job and I used a bit of weed whacker line to do it. With an unclogged drain, it should drain without issue, whether open or closed.

JCR1500

Reaction score
The drains are there primarily because it's difficult to completely seal a sunroof when it's closed. It's possible there is an issue with the drains on your truck. But you should be aware that there was a known issue, mostly on early 5th gens, with a seam in the driver side cowl area where water can leak into the cab. There are a couple old threads about the issue, and I believe there was even a service bulletin for it. What year is your truck?
Mine is a 2020. I just pulled the carpet back and poured water in the sunroof vent and the cowl drain and they both drained right to the ground and I did not see any water entering the floor. I will snake the sunroof drains as when I closed the sunroof and poured water on the back of the sunroof nothing came out of the drain under my rear window which just means no water got into the sunroof drains. I'm thinking more about this seam issue. We are expecting rain so maybe I can catch it in the act.

I thought there was a floor drain near the rocker panel on these isnt there?

Thanks

JCR1500

Reaction score
I did clear the drains myself. It's a really simple job and I used a bit of weed whacker line to do it. With an unclogged drain, it should drain without issue, whether open or closed.
I went at lunch and poured water into both sunroof drains and they drained fine so its not that. I'm wondering about this seam issue as mine is a 2020.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't have a link to any of those threads. You might see if you can set aside some time to search on that. Unfortunately it may take a while, and you'll probably want to search for threads from 2020 and later.

JCR1500

Reaction score
Follow up on my floor. I pulled the rear seats this weekend and pulled back the carpet on the backwall of the cab. All my vents are the new model and all the flaps are in place and no water leaking from there. I poured water over my 3rd brake light and my sliding rear window (even though the window frame is cracked at the 2 spots on wither side of the center section) there was no signs of water coming in or ever coming through the back glass. Its been sunny so I opened the windows and let the floor and carpet dry out. My only other thought is this seam issue in the wheel wells so I'm looking for input on that if anyone has any or dealt with it themselves.

Thanks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here a link to the TSB...

And here are links to a couple of the older threads in which the issue was discussed...

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would hang a bag of damp rid in the cabin for a week as well.

zljubevski

Reaction score
I know this issue has been brought up before, but at just over two years into owning my truck I noticed I have a water leak in the front drivers side of my truck.

I’ve never had issues with wet carpet, and have checked it many times over the last two years. Just the other day I was cleaning my truck and decided to remove the sill panel to do some spring cleaning and I noticed it was wet. After lifting the carpet I noticed the under pad and sound deadening that is glued to the floor was soaking wet.

I thought maybe I water got into there off my rubber mats, so I left the carpet lifted up overnight for a couple of nights to dry. Today it rained again, upon inspection I can see fresh water trickling down the seam from up under the drivers side kick panel somewhere.

Back to the dealer she goes! Glad I bought an extended warranty, because this is getting ridiculous.

You can remove the sill panel easily by lifting up at the rear of it and working your way to the front where two more clips hold it in, just pull back and it comes right off. You can then just lift up on the carpet but the black clips that hold it down and lift the carpet to check it out, I’ve never had wet carpet so I thought I was fine, I guess not.
Hi, I am having the same issue on my RAM. Wondering if you had this issue fixed. I am taking my RAM back for the 4th time for this issue. I have another problem that I just passed my warranty time and mileage and dealer is saying that they will not cover me for a rental while the car is in the shop. However they covered the rental the first 3 times.

TheRotty

Reaction score
Hi, I am having the same issue on my RAM. Wondering if you had this issue fixed. I am taking my RAM back for the 4th time for this issue. I have another problem that I just passed my warranty time and mileage and dealer is saying that they will not cover me for a rental while the car is in the shop. However they covered the rental the first 3 times.
Im having exact same issue right now

moviemaker101

Reaction score
Im having exact same issue right now
There is a great Video by Weekend Garage on removing the fender and sealing seams, I did the Job a few days ago and was so proud of myself as I was able to complete with only 3 extra bolts that I can not seen to find where they go. (Just kidding) I let the cat sit out in the Rain and this morning found a leak again on Drivers Side. (Very frustrating) I gave it 3 coats of seem dealer withn 12 hour intervals, I silicone the rear windows and antenna, I sealed the thrid brake light and still water is getting in. The dealer wants 3 hours at $275 per hour just to start. My truck is 2021 and I just purchased it 3 weeks ago. I. Assuming the previous owner sold it because of this issue. Only 40k and just out of warranty. Ughhhh!!!

Users who are viewing this thread