5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver side door ding

sgtsodo

Reaction score
2019 Laramie 4x4 5'7 w/ 2500 miles on it, of course I noticed yesterday, a BIG OLE door ding, clear coat is affected. Any easy remedies or does it need to go to a body shop??

79 300

Reaction score
I would look into PDR (paintless dent removal). These guys can work wonders. If you go the body shop route with filling and repainting you will have a whole new set of problems. I always try to leave the factory paint alone if at all possible. That clear coat mark could be buffed out or touched up then buffed out so you could hardly see it.
I have had dings removed with PDR on several vehicles. It is usually less than $100. Many dealers have one on call to come in to fix cars right there. I even had a guy come to my house once.

geotex1

Reaction score
I have had pretty extreme damage removed by PDR. Research the best in your area - I drive 75 minutes one way for the guy I use as he's one of the best in the world and master instructor for the craft. Better yet if you have one who also does/partners with an airbrush painter. They can do what body shops won't with spot repair of paint. I'll see if I can dig up the before and after work of the 5 inch gouge I had repaired recently on my Yukon (lovely wife has no depth perception).

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ask if they can get it out without cracking the paint. Had a pretty deep ding on a body line on my wife's car. PDR removed the dent but cracked the paint.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Laramie 4x4 5'7 w/ 2500 miles on it, of course I noticed yesterday, a BIG OLE door ding, clear coat is affected. Any easy remedies or does it need to go to a body shop??
My neighbor put a ding in my rear passenger side door the second week I had the truck. PDR was great but the clear was slightly cracked. Thank God its low down on the door. I've had PDR done a number of times and it's great.

stevetom84

Reaction score
Anyone think it's a good idea to purchase the Mopar appearance care package? 5 years is something like 545 and covers PDR for dents/dings as well as windshields and interior tears.

79 300

Reaction score
My PDR shop heats the area up with a heat gun to help prevent paint cracking.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My PDR shop heats the area up with a heat gun to help prevent paint cracking.

My bet would be the heat helps the metal be more pliable to facilitate the repair. More so than the sole purpose of preventing cracked paint.

Users who are viewing this thread