5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver Side Creak- Inside- Video

kdrose1992

Reaction score
03/15/2021:
I had this same issue, and the dealer said a Bulletin came out 2/05/2021 S2119000001. Apparently, the energy absorbing joint is making the squeak in my truck at least.... hope this helps someone. They are replacing the entire steering column. I will report back if that fixes the issue for me.
Did this fix your issue?

Laramie19Longhorn

Reaction score
The first picture is looking directly up from below the drivers floor pan. The second picture is looking towards the front of the truck, parallel with the frame rail. The green arrows point towards the front of the truck. The yellow indicates the active tuned mass modules. The red circle is where I stuffed a section of thick sock material between the floor pan and the rubbing wiring harness. The blue circle is where a loose wiring connector sits in a frame cradle. I stuffed sock material in there as well to stop it from moving and rattling. I hope this helps!

View attachment 17011
View attachment 17010
OK, I’m going to be honest here. I’m pretty confident in myself, and feel like I’m somewhat handy. HOWEVER, I WOULD HAVE NEVER NEVER FOUND THIS SOLUTION OR THOUGHT TO USE A SOCK FOR THE SOLUTION. You have saved me hours at the dealership, and probably hundreds of dollars. So, thank you!

Last edited:

hartysparty

Reaction score
I had a very subtle creak noise if you rocked the steering wheel back and forth while driving at low speed. I could hear it coming from under the truck. While laying on the ground under the drivers floor pan I had my buddy rock my truck back and forth. Make sure you retract your power steps if equipped! I could clearly see the body moving on the frame and the culprit was a large wire harness that was rubbing on the bottom of the cab. I grabbed the harness while truck was rocking and creak stopped. I adjusted it by pulling it away from floor pan some and creak was gone. Have not heard it since. Hope this helps..
Had to make an account to say THANK YOU!! you fixed my issue.

rightsaidfred

Reaction score
My new Ram Diesel 2500 (2500km on it) is making a strange creaking /clicking/ticking form the steering wheel, its driving me nuts. happens when driving or when stationary, especially noticeable with smaller slower steering inputs. happens when steering input is left or right. Happens in Drive and Reverse and Park etc, happens with or without turn signals on.

Any ideas what this could be ? clock spring ? steering column?

here is a video:

I can also now hear it quite clearly under the dash (when I'm upside down with my head near the pedals). when I move the steering wheel it appears to be coming from the steering column just above the U-Joint, (there is large cast casing for the column with a barcode sticker on it), the sound at the steering wheel almost seems like a stethoscoping of the sound from below (like when you use a screw driver to your ear too hear internal engine sounds).

So. IDK, sometimes its hard to tell where sounds are coming form, but if I close my eyes it sure seems like the column. the question is, is the clock spring making the noise and transmitting down the column, or is the column making the noise and transmitting up tot he steering wheel ??

Ive read about the clock spring and also the column, so likely one or the other. what sort of fixes have your dealers done (that work).

Here's a another video from under the dash

Dealership visit in order I guess

Last edited:

trini_kjt

Reaction score
Dealership visit in order I guess

I'm in the same boat with mine - odd it started after I had the Mass Tuned Module replaced under warranty, which makes me think it could be the harness referenced in this thread acting up, but the noise really appears to be related to the column in my truck...

Users who are viewing this thread