5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver’s Interior Door Handle Broken

wradar

Reaction score
Just had the driver’s interior door handle break. Seems like the cable detached behind the door panel (the handle just flops back and forth loosely).

Does anyone have a link to a door panel removal post or video for the 5th Gen?

Also, any tips on this issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 03D55F0E-A932-4EAB-8413-854C74E6D285.jpeg
    03D55F0E-A932-4EAB-8413-854C74E6D285.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 41

Camelot

Reaction score
I know I was not buying a high quality vehicle when I purchased my truck, but reading about all the issues, plus my own issues with leaking rear window and uneven suspension -- first and last RAM for me

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol. You’re in for a rude awakening if you think any other brand vehicle is any better these days.

Op it probably just came unclipped. Same happened to mine when the tint guy put the door panel back on.

He shows how to remove the panel and the cable here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yeah so it’s right in the middle of average. Oddly enough that says Subaru is pretty bad. But out of the 6 new Subarus I’ve owned. They have been the least problematic.

Go on any forum and you will see complaints with every brands. And ram isn’t the only one that suffers from a rear leaking window.

I had more issues with my two new silverados, which per your chart is supposed to be better, than I’ve had with my ram. Luck of the draw.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but I'd say that chart tells us basically nothing. No idea what types of issues they're talking about. I'll take a slightly more than average number of issues if none of them affect my powertrain over even one semi-major drivability issue.

That being said, apparently you should never ever buy a Land Rover lol.

And actually, their stat alone makes the average much higher. Really Ram is closer to the issue pool of the top 3-5 than it is to the bottom 3-5, by count (i.e. Volkswagens have way more issues vs Rams than Rams have vs Toyotas).

Camelot

Reaction score
Then WTF did you buy it?
Because it was available and I needed a small pickup truck. It was in stock at the dealer when I stopped by, so I bought it. Not a big deal, its just transportation, but I had no idea of all the issues the RAM trucks have even in the 5th generation. It was more of an impulse buy. If it holds up I will eventually put a snow plow on it and just keep it around the house for miscellaneous stuff.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because it was available and I needed a small pickup truck. It was in stock at the dealer when I stopped by, so I bought it. Not a big deal, its just transportation, but I had no idea of all the issues the RAM trucks have even in the 5th generation. It was more of an impulse buy. If it holds up I will eventually put a snow plow on it and just keep it around the house for miscellaneous stuff.
Shoulda got a Camry.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

“All the issues” lol there are a few common ones that are presented here and represent an extreme minority of trucks actually sold.

Stop reading forums.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Seems to me that Chevy is only ranked that high because they sell cars and trucks. Take the cars out and I bet they rank right along with GMC. Just my .02

HemiDude

Reaction score
OP - Did you get your panel off? If so, what did you find?

wradar

Reaction score
OP - Did you get your panel off? If so, what did you find?

I did, and it turns out the cable itself broke about 4” up the cable run. Which, I’m sure, is going to be a peach to replace. Frustrating, considering the truck isn’t even a year old yet!!

Attachments

• B5F3A216-9764-4FB1-A086-1D507E1A740E.jpeg
    B5F3A216-9764-4FB1-A086-1D507E1A740E.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 29
  • BA1DB997-F30C-4200-929F-4BC281A6E6E3.jpeg
    BA1DB997-F30C-4200-929F-4BC281A6E6E3.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 31

wradar

Reaction score
Isn't this repair covered by your warranty?
I suspect it is, but I live in rural Alaska, where getting warranty work done is…an ordeal. I figure if I can use fixing this as a good rationale for concurrently doing the passive door handle upgrade that I just learned exists in one of the aforementioned videos. 😁

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect it is, but I live in rural Alaska, where getting warranty work done is…an ordeal. I figure if I can use fixing this as a good rationale for concurrently doing the passive door handle upgrade that I just learned exists in one of the aforementioned videos. 😁
I just added the passive entry on mine about a month ago. While I wouldn’t say it’s a breeze, the video above and the How-To thread here in the forum make it much more manageable. Definitely worth the hassle of adding it in my opinion. Good luck with the door cable replacement as well. Crazy that it snapped like that on such a new truck.

reconshaun

Reaction score
I did, and it turns out the cable itself broke about 4” up the cable run. Which, I’m sure, is going to be a peach to replace. Frustrating, considering the truck isn’t even a year old yet!!
My 2019 Rebel just had this issue out of nowhere. My interior handle was stuck in the out position. When I opened the door up, the cable was broke. Did you figure out how to replace the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread