5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drive out tags

Racasc

Reaction score
I live in Tennessee, but purchased my 2019 Big Horn in Alabama. Noticed when I got home that I didn't have a temporary license tag. Dealer says that in Alabama they don't use temp tags, that all they need is the dealers name plate in the license plate holder, and the driver to have the bill of sale with me.

The dealer doesn't seem to know what to do. They say it could take up to 21 days to get the permanent TN tag delivered to me. They expect me to drive around without a tag for that time. Is this normal in Alabama? I've only driven it once since I got it back home since it's not tagged. Looking forward to it.

2019 Big Horn 4x4 V8 Etorque

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I also lived in a state that did not issue temp. tags if you had a tag you would simply transfer it to the new vehicle. If not you ha d a 4 day grace period in which time you would have to physically go to the RMV and obtain a new tag.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Tennessee, but purchased my 2019 Big Horn in Alabama. Noticed when I got home that I didn't have a temporary license tag. Dealer says that in Alabama they don't use temp tags, that all they need is the dealers name plate in the license plate holder, and the driver to have the bill of sale with me.

The dealer doesn't seem to know what to do. They say it could take up to 21 days to get the permanent TN tag delivered to me. They expect me to drive around without a tag for that time. Is this normal in Alabama? I've only driven it once since I got it back home since it's not tagged. Looking forward to it.

The state DMV usually has this information posted online. I live near a border city, and have faced this issue several times. Not a problem, just make sure you know the "due dates." My last new car cost me a $25 penalty for being a day late on the transfer.

Bwarren2

Reaction score

Did you register w TN DMV or is your Bama dealer sending you a TN Tag? IN GA, once we register w DMV we gert a tag and registration that day. If its a special tag that has to be made, we get a sticker and a temp tag. BTW, how much was Bama sales tax?

Racasc

Reaction score
Did you register w TN DMV or is your Bama dealer sending you a TN Tag? IN GA, once we register w DMV we gert a tag and registration that day. If its a special tag that has to be made, we get a sticker and a temp tag. BTW, how much was Bama sales tax?
I paid the 7% TN tax to the dealer. They are handling the registration, but say it could be 21 days till I get the permanent TN tag. In the recent past when I've bought a car in TN or GA they put on a temporary tag while I was finishing up the paperwork. I didn't even think about it or notice till I got back home that I didn't have a tag. I've asked the Bama dealer for a temp tag since it may take 3 weeks, but they are acting like it's crazy. I've asked a police officer friend and he agreed that I could get pulled over and get a ticket driving it like it is. TN Dept of revenue and my county clerk both say they can't help, that the Bama dealer should give me something.

Racasc

Reaction score

Thanks everyone, so it sounds like in Bama you get your own tag faster, so they don't normally have to worry about temporary tags. From what I've read it sounds like they could issue a new temp tag to me. I'm not sure why they can't figure it out so I can drive legally. It's already been 4 days...

Douglas31

Reaction score
I ran in to something similar although mine was due to the dealer not getting the tags prior to my 30 day temp tags expiring. Everyone said there was nothing they could do. But after talking to the main state DMV on the phone, once they had received the paperwork from the dealership and the truck received a title and plates were being processed I was able to just go into the local DMV and pay the $10 plate fee and get it and the registration there on the spot. Of course the original plates and registration are still being shipped and I just need to turn the plates in once they arrive since they are no longer valid. This was in VA.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I ran in to something similar although mine was due to the dealer not getting the tags prior to my 30 day temp tags expiring. Everyone said there was nothing they could do. But after talking to the main state DMV on the phone, once they had received the paperwork from the dealership and the truck received a title and plates were being processed I was able to just go into the local DMV and pay the $10 plate fee and get it and the registration there on the spot. Of course the original plates and registration are still being shipped and I just need to turn the plates in once they arrive since they are no longer valid. This was in VA.
When I bought my current Hyundai Azera, the dealer in MD didn't submit the paperwork to the VA DMV till 29 days after purchase. I got my plates in the mail about 10 days after the 30 day temp tag expired. I was seriously pissed at the dealer!

Users who are viewing this thread