5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drive Line Fluid Changes

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
OK, thanks. So those are the same axles.....'19 vs '20? Who builds those axles?

Orion10182011

Reaction score
If the trans and transfer case are indeed synthetic I would leave them alone. But the since the diff's are not syntheic I would will probably do them. Mobil 1 has a 75w90LS lube for limited slip. No need to add anything. I put it in my Corvette and it's working great not clutch chatter or anything.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some what off the drive line topic, how often should the coolant be flushed? I'm coming up on 50K and I've only done oil changes and filter changes, I want to do the front and rear diff. but wasn't sure about the radiator.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Some what off the drive line topic, how often should the coolant be flushed? I'm coming up on 50K and I've only done oil changes and filter changes, I want to do the front and rear diff. but wasn't sure about the radiator.
owners manual has it
mine for 2022 states 10 years or 150000 miles pg 478

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I've always had to pull the rear diff cover on my previous trucks. It's not ideal, but not that big of a deal.

I plan on changing diffs and t-case around 40,000 and going to Amsoil synthetic. I tow a boat most of the summer.

I'll also try to do my transmission at the same time. Yes, I know what FCA says about the lifetime fluid but I don't agree. That may get them through their warranty period, but I'm concerned about a longer time frame. I've always done my own by dropping the pan, replacing the filter then disconnecting a line, pumping out old and replacing with new until complete. Sounds harder to do with the new trans so I'll have to do some more research before I attempt that.
I know nothing about vehicles but try my best when it comes to maintaining the ones I own.

I’ve got a 2019 1500 with a 3.92 axle ratio (honestly don’t even know what that means but it’s how I ordered it with the understanding that it would be better for towing my 5,000 lbs boat and trailer). Besides full synthetic oil changes every 5k miles, I did transfer case fluid service and all drive line fluid service at 28k miles. I’ve got 36k miles on the dash now.

What is this Amsoil product you guys spoke of? What product is it replacing? I plan to own this truck until the wheels fall off. I have a Honda I put 180k miles on with just basic oil changes but that thing was only $20,000 new and I didn’t know as much then.

I still take mine to the dealership for any and all repairs minus new tires. Do they use the appropriate fluids or just the cheapest ones?

I used to bring my own brake fluid to the dealer for my Alfa Romeo. Wondering what I need to do now with my truck.

Thanks in advance!

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Ahh...I was looking at 2019, you're correct...2020 shows nothing for anything other than engine.
Well, Ram manual specifies 75W-85 front and 75W-90 for 3.21 rear. Volumes from Amsoil site for 2019's are 2.3 pints (1.15 qts) front and 5.7 pints (2.85 qts) rear. Ram manual says level with the bottom of the fill hole
I've always had to pull the rear diff cover on my previous trucks. It's not ideal, but not that big of a deal.

I plan on changing diffs and t-case around 40,000 and going to Amsoil synthetic. I tow a boat most of the summer.

I'll also try to do my transmission at the same time. Yes, I know what FCA says about the lifetime fluid but I don't agree. That may get them through their warranty period, but I'm concerned about a longer time frame. I've always done my own by dropping the pan, replacing the filter then disconnecting a line, pumping out old and replacing with new until complete. Sounds harder to do with the new trans so I'll have to do some more research before I attempt that.
I know nothing about vehicles but try my best when it comes to maintaining the ones I own.

I’ve got a 2019 1500 with a 3.92 axle ratio (honestly don’t even know what that means but it’s how I ordered it with the understanding that it would be better for towing my 5,000 lbs boat and trailer). Besides full synthetic oil changes every 5k miles, I did transfer case fluid service and all drive line fluid service at 28k miles. I’ve got 36k miles on the dash now.

What is this Amsoil product you guys spoke of? What product is it replacing? I plan to own this truck until the wheels fall off. I have a Honda I put 180k miles on with just basic oil changes but that thing was only $20,000 new and I didn’t know as much then.

I still take mine to the dealership for any and all repairs minus new tires. Do they use the appropriate fluids or just the cheapest ones?

I used to bring my own brake fluid to the dealer for my Alfa Romeo. Wondering what I need to do now with my truck.

Thanks in advance!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

The axle ratio determines how many times your driveshaft spins to get 1 full rotation out of your tires. The 3.92 is a lower ratio (numerically higher) so the driveshaft will turn 3.92 times for every 1.00 turn of the tire. It's a mechanical advantage, that's why it's better for towing. The 3.21 ratio means the driveshaft will spin fewer times to get 1 full turn of the tires, which also means the engine is spinning slower as well, which means it'll save fuel in SOME circumstances.

As far as Amsoil goes, avoid it. It's extra $$$ for oils and fluids that will not do anything advantageous for you. Basic oils and fluids off the shelf at Walmart or the dealership will keep your truck healthy for years. Main thing is to do the maintenance on time, per the manual, at every interval.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
AMSOIL provides high quality synthetic fluids, gear oil, transmission oil, engine, etc. as well as some fuel treatments. All are engineered to meet or exceed manufacturers specifications. In some cases, they also allow you to extend service intervals for some systems as well.

If you have any questions you can send me a direct message.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
The axle ratio determines how many times your driveshaft spins to get 1 full rotation out of your tires. The 3.92 is a lower ratio (numerically higher) so the driveshaft will turn 3.92 times for every 1.00 turn of the tire. It's a mechanical advantage, that's why it's better for towing. The 3.21 ratio means the driveshaft will spin fewer times to get 1 full turn of the tires, which also means the engine is spinning slower as well, which means it'll save fuel in SOME circumstances.

As far as Amsoil goes, avoid it. It's extra $$$ for oils and fluids that will not do anything advantageous for you. Basic oils and fluids off the shelf at Walmart or the dealership will keep your truck healthy for years. Main thing is to do the maintenance on time, per the manual, at every interval.
Is there anything I’m missing? I’ve looked at the maintenance schedule many times you always hear something different on here and other forums and I don’t know any better.

Still not sure if I should mess with coolant. Some say every 5 years which I hit this year. Haven’t done it yet.

Same with trans flush at 30k and pan replacement at 60k. I’m not sure if I should or not.

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE

1 year or 5,000 miles
-Oil change (full synthetic)
-Tire rotation

2 years or 20,000 miles
-Cabin air filter
-Inspect brake linings, replace if necessary
-Inspect front suspension, tie rod ends, and
replace if necessary.

3 years or 30,000 miles
-Engine air filter
-Change transmission fluid and filters
-Inspect CV/Universal joints

-Inspect the front and rear axle surfaces. If gear oil leakage is suspected, check the fluid level.
-Change axle fluid (FREQUENT TOWING)
-Inspect transfer case fluid

6 years or 60,000 miles
-Change transfer case fluid (FREQUENT TOWING)
-Replace pan (every other transmission
service)

10 years or 100,000 miles
-Flush and replace engine coolant
-Inspect and replace PCV valve 100,000 miles (not mileage specific)
-Spark plugs

15 years or 150,000 miles
-Replace accessory belt with OEM grade
MOPAR belt

MAINTENANCE LOG

July 23rd 2019: @ 1,138 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation

May 23rd 2020: 9,869 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation

March 15th 2021: @ 13,700 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation
-alignment

August 27th 2021: @ 18,410 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation
-replace cabin air filter
-replace engine air filter

February 16th 2022: @ 23,981 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation
-alignment

June 20th 2022: @ 28,253 miles
$854.06
-oil change
-tire rotation
-transfer case fluid service
-all drive line fluid service
-brake system fluid service

January 27th 2023: @ 33,000 miles
-oil change SEMI-SYNTHETIC
-tire rotation

May 18th 2023: @ 33,921 miles

June 17th 2023: @ 34,642 miles
-four new tires ($1,560.97)
-alignment

December 19th 2023: @ 36,316
-oil change FULL SYNTHETIC
-tire rotation

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anything I’m missing? I’ve looked at the maintenance schedule many times you always hear something different on here and other forums and I don’t know any better.

Still not sure if I should mess with coolant. Some say every 5 years which I hit this year. Haven’t done it yet.

Same with trans flush at 30k and pan replacement at 60k. I’m not sure if I should or not.

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE

1 year or 5,000 miles
-Oil change (full synthetic)
-Tire rotation

2 years or 20,000 miles
-Cabin air filter
-Inspect brake linings, replace if necessary
-Inspect front suspension, tie rod ends, and
replace if necessary.

3 years or 30,000 miles
-Engine air filter
-Change transmission fluid and filters
-Inspect CV/Universal joints

-Inspect the front and rear axle surfaces. If gear oil leakage is suspected, check the fluid level.
-Change axle fluid (FREQUENT TOWING)
-Inspect transfer case fluid

6 years or 60,000 miles
-Change transfer case fluid (FREQUENT TOWING)
-Replace pan (every other transmission
service)

10 years or 100,000 miles
-Flush and replace engine coolant
-Inspect and replace PCV valve 100,000 miles (not mileage specific)
-Spark plugs

15 years or 150,000 miles
-Replace accessory belt with OEM grade
MOPAR belt

MAINTENANCE LOG

July 23rd 2019: @ 1,138 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation

May 23rd 2020: 9,869 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation

March 15th 2021: @ 13,700 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation
-alignment

August 27th 2021: @ 18,410 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation

February 16th 2022: @ 23,981 miles
-oil change
-tire rotation
-alignment

June 20th 2022: @ 28,253 miles
$854.06
-oil change
-tire rotation
-transfer case fluid service
-all drive line fluid service
-brake system fluid service

January 27th 2023: @ 33,000 miles
-oil change SEMI-SYNTHETIC
-tire rotation

May 18th 2023: @ 33,921 miles

June 17th 2023: @ 34,642 miles
-four new tires ($1,560.97)
-alignment

December 19th 2023: @ 36,316
-oil change FULL SYNTHETIC
-tire rotation
That is impeccable maintenance, you did mention that you owned an Alfa Romeo in the past, so no wonder.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
That is impeccable maintenance, you did mention that you owned an Alfa Romeo in the past, so no wonder.
Thank you! I don’t know anything so I try my best to learn from posts like this.

Still not sure about coolant. Some say every 5 years which I hit this year. Haven’t done it yet. Same with trans flush at 30k and pan replacement at 60k. I’m not sure if I should or not. What do you do regarding coolant and transmission?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! I don’t know anything so I try my best to learn from posts like this.

Still not sure about coolant. Some say every 5 years which I hit this year. Haven’t done it yet. Same with trans flush at 30k and pan replacement at 60k. I’m not sure if I should or not. What do you do regarding coolant and transmission?
Planning on servicing the transmission this coming spring, at the 80k mi mark right now.
Running Mopar 10 year coolant so several years to go.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

From the 2019 Owner's Manual pg 479
"Flush and replace the engine coolant at 10 years or 150,000miles (240,000km) whichever comes first."

Users who are viewing this thread