5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drive Line Fluid Changes

daberk

Reaction score
I have ~32k miles on my truck now and plan on keeping it for a long time. I don't tow anything, 90% of my miles are on road and not a lot of short trips or stop and go driving.

I am using Amsoil in the engine and was thinking of changing transmission, differentials and transfer case fluids to Amsoil products as well. A lot of the threads I read suggest this would not be necessary given that type of use.

Are the factory fluids synthetic? Would this be a worthwhile investment now or am I just wasting money? Thanks.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While I typically over-maintain fluids, I'd say you are wasting your money by changing out the differential(s) and trans that early. With little city stop and go, you are very easy on your drivetrain.
You may see a 1 mpg or so increase in mpg due to less overall fluid friction in the differential(s) however that's certainly not worth the cost. Factory oil is not synthetic.
Edit - I was mistaken about the other fluids not being synthetic, another member said the diffs and transfer case were. I couldn't locate exact references to that however parts sources list synthetic so...

yYu can either:
1 - follow the FCA/RAM maintenance intervals for the "normal" or "severe" usage (if you want to be extra careful)
2 - go with a "gut" feeling of 50-70K miles on the differential(s) and same on the trans (no scientific or oil analysis information to back up that mileage interval though)
3 - just change it early cause' its your truck and you want to (look for specials/coupons to cushion the costs)

I tend to follow (1) "severe" but I only use conventional oils so it makes more sense to not stretch the intervals. It's a $64K retail truck so not worth it.

I doubt you could justify changing synthetic fluids very often unless you tow a lot or take the truck through water (streams). This is all my opinion of course.

Some RAM dealer has this online: (freeholddodge.net) which IMHO is a guide only. I'd disagree with the coolant, and would flush it as often as the tranny (for towing, not 120K).
Ram 1500 Service Intervals (freeholddodge)
  • 8,000 Miles- During this service interval, the primary focus is changing out your oil and oil filter. During this time, you should also rotate your tires to even out the tread wear.
  • 20,000 Miles- At this mileage, you'll want to have your front suspension, tie rod ends and brake linings inspected and possibly replaced if they don't meet the technician's standards.
  • 30,000 Miles- When you hit this mileage, you'll want to have your CV/Universal joints, transfer fluid case and your front/rear axle surfaces inspected. You should also replace your engine air filter.
  • 60,000 Miles- If you're using your Ram 1500 for a lot of trailering and towing, this is where you'll have your automatic transmission fluid and filters replaced.
  • 100,000 Miles- At this service interval, on top of the many replacements and inspections, you'll have to add a few new items to the list. You'll need to have your spark plugs replaced. You'll also need your PCV valve inspected and possibly replaced.
  • 120,000 Miles- If your Ram 1500 is equipped with a 6-speed automatic transmission, this is the point where you change out the fluid and filters. You'll also need to change the transfer fluid case.
  • 150,000 Miles- During this service interval, you'll need to have your engine coolant flushed and replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have ~32k miles on my truck now and plan on keeping it for a long time. I don't tow anything, 90% of my miles are on road and not a lot of short trips or stop and go driving.

I am using Amsoil in the engine and was thinking of changing transmission, differentials and transfer case fluids to Amsoil products as well. A lot of the threads I read suggest this would not be necessary given that type of use.

Are the factory fluids synthetic? Would this be a worthwhile investment now or am I just wasting money? Thanks.
You will certainly gain some mileage from changing the fluids out with Amsoil(I'm a dealer myself), though I don't plan to change trans(ZF recommends like 50-65k mi) , diff or t-case until ~50k. I've toyed with the idea of doing the diffs sooner to see if the gear lube is causing the poor mileage in below freezing temperatures.

Side note: Have you tried running the upper cylinder lubricant? I believe I am getting better mileage, but will be hard to tell until the temps get back up to where I have mileage data from.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch the t-case or trans. Both of those have ultra expensive full synthetic fluids in them from the factory that are designed specifically for those units and have a 150,000 mile change interval.

I would, however, change the differential fluids because you can get the wear metals out that way and clean the magnets off while you're in there. Then pop the inspection covers back on and fill with synthetic fluids and they won't need service again for a LONG long time.

airgas1998

Reaction score
well let me know when someone finds the drain plug on the rear diff because there isn't one just the fill plug on the passenger side. they went to a new mfg with the 5th gens and I looked everywhere for the drain. I cant believe I have to take the cover off...

Ranger482

Reaction score
I've always had to pull the rear diff cover on my previous trucks. It's not ideal, but not that big of a deal.

I plan on changing diffs and t-case around 40,000 and going to Amsoil synthetic. I tow a boat most of the summer.

I'll also try to do my transmission at the same time. Yes, I know what FCA says about the lifetime fluid but I don't agree. That may get them through their warranty period, but I'm concerned about a longer time frame. I've always done my own by dropping the pan, replacing the filter then disconnecting a line, pumping out old and replacing with new until complete. Sounds harder to do with the new trans so I'll have to do some more research before I attempt that.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well let me know when someone finds the drain plug on the rear diff because there isn't one just the fill plug on the passenger side. they went to a new mfg with the 5th gens and I looked everywhere for the drain. I cant believe I have to take the cover off...

That's funny because every Ram and Jeep I've ever owned had no drain plug on the diff. When I got my Jeep Gladiator with the new Dana AdvanTek axles, I was like WHOA! Drain plugs on front and rear!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always had to pull the rear diff cover on my previous trucks. It's not ideal, but not that big of a deal.

I plan on changing diffs and t-case around 40,000 and going to Amsoil synthetic. I tow a boat most of the summer.

I'll also try to do my transmission at the same time. Yes, I know what FCA says about the lifetime fluid but I don't agree. That may get them through their warranty period, but I'm concerned about a longer time frame. I've always done my own by dropping the pan, replacing the filter then disconnecting a line, pumping out old and replacing with new until complete. Sounds harder to do with the new trans so I'll have to do some more research before I attempt that.

Agreed with the transmission fluid and filter, ZF says like 50-65k I think depending on usage. The pan and filter is all one piece, I suspect eventually someone will come out with a deep pan with a replaceable filter element, if it hasn't been released already.

Backinblk

Reaction score

My trans shop is changing all the fluids in my friends 17 ram to amsoil. While they dont toe he recommends it being they wanna keep the truck for a long time

Ranger482

Reaction score
Agreed with the transmission fluid and filter, ZF says like 50-65k I think depending on usage. The pan and filter is all one piece, I suspect eventually someone will come out with a deep pan with a replaceable filter element, if it hasn't been released already.
There are replacement aftermarket pans available that allow you to just change the filter going forward. I'll probably look into one of those when I change the fluid. They are about $125 or so, not cheap but at least you can just buy the filter for future changes. Believe the Mopar pan is around $200-250 or so? Kind of sucks to have to pay $125 just to change the trans filter, but once its done once its just the filter after that.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are replacement aftermarket pans available that allow you to just change the filter going forward. I'll probably look into one of those when I change the fluid. They are about $125 or so, not cheap but at least you can just buy the filter for future changes. Believe the Mopar pan is around $200-250 or so? Kind of sucks to have to pay $125 just to change the trans filter, but once its done once its just the filter after that.
I think I paid about $140 for the OE pan/filter when I did my BMW.
Yes, it's a pain and annoying but for the masses and production it makes sense when it's a service that just isn't typically performed anymore.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say 30-50k of mileage. Atleast check fluid condition the old school way. Your own eyes. If you have been around vehicles. It’s not rocket science, get lab reports if you like. Idc, remember, drivetrain fluids don’t have temp control like engine and trans.
My rear diff fluid was horrible at 10k. I was also lite up for it. As I had a bad pic of fluid(I know that it was)and no lab report on it to back my findings.

I promise, it was just using good old common sense. anyone even the people that lit me up would not of looked at it and say— I’ll wait for a BS report on this till I change it if it was there truck. That’s a hard no. I probably should taken it right to the dealer for documentation. That’s why if you can, or like to. Just look at fluids yourself or a trusted tech.
On trans change if under warranty still I would only use ZF fluid when doing a flush or refresh with pan drop. After warranty, use amsoil, BG fluids.
Maybe I feel there are worse/complex things to worry about in life. Besides trans, drivetrain fluids are easy to check, easy to service with fill And drain plugs and low amount of fluid fill. It’s call preventive maintenance for a reason. If you use BG products they back it up with their own warranty, which is actually really good.

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
The Amsoil site has no recommendation for a differential lube in the 2020 1500 Big Horn 5.7 (2WD) with the limited slip rear end. Can anyone enlighten me? Also, is there an aftermarket cover for that diff?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Amsoil site has no recommendation for a differential lube in the 2020 1500 Big Horn 5.7 (2WD) with the limited slip rear end. Can anyone enlighten me? Also, is there an aftermarket cover for that diff?
75W-90 or 75W-110.
Amsoil recommends adding the Mopar limited slip additive, but from what I've read you may or may not need it. Won't hurt to add for sure though.

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
Amsoil specifically recommends the Mopar additive? I mean, they sell their own additive.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amsoil specifically recommends the Mopar additive? I mean, they sell their own additive.
Yup, they do. If you select the other 5.7 engine option it will show up...not sure why the other shows nothing

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
How do I tell which engine I have? Those codes mean nothing to me.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do I tell which engine I have? Those codes mean nothing to me.
I'm guessing one of them is the E torque engine, but if you select the one that ends in "T" it has the full list of recommendations

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
I just checked again. Neither engine code shows any rear axle lube recommendation. And oddly enough, the owner's manual does not list the fluid capacity of the rear axle. Just be sure to use that "Mopar lubricant". Oooooo-kaaaay.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just checked again. Neither engine code shows any rear axle lube recommendation. And oddly enough, the owner's manual does not list the fluid capacity of the rear axle. Just be sure to use that "Mopar lubricant". Oooooo-kaaaay.

Ahh...I was looking at 2019, you're correct...2020 shows nothing for anything other than engine.
Well, Ram manual specifies 75W-85 front and 75W-90 for 3.21 rear. Volumes from Amsoil site for 2019's are 2.3 pints (1.15 qts) front and 5.7 pints (2.85 qts) rear. Ram manual says level with the bottom of the fill hole

Users who are viewing this thread