5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downshift Gear Lock / Lock-Out

Rebelde21

Reaction score
I know we can limit upshifts with our + / - buttons if not a GT (or paddles if so), but I was curious which of these available tuners offers a gear lock where it does not downshift.

For example: Say I want it to stay in 3rd gear...I romp on it--I want it to stay in 3rd and not drop to 2nd.

TIA

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know we can limit upshifts with our + / - buttons if not a GT (or paddles if so), but I was curious which of these available tuners offers a gear lock where it does not downshift.

For example: Say I want it to stay in 3rd gear...I romp on it--I want it to stay in 3rd and not drop to 2nd.

TIA
I can't say I have ever heard of such a thing. Maybe a custom tune. But the trans is going to downshift if staying in a higher gear will bog the motor.

I know with the older NAG1 trans used in the LX cars, with a diablo tuner they had a "dyno mode" to prevent TCS from freaking out when front wheels werent spinning. And with the right setting for the manual shift mode, it would hold whatever gear you put it in.

Rebelde21

Reaction score
I can't say I have ever heard of such a thing. Maybe a custom tune. But the trans is going to downshift if staying in a higher gear will bog the motor.

I know with the older NAG1 trans used in the LX cars, with a diablo tuner they had a "dyno mode" to prevent TCS from freaking out when front wheels werent spinning. And with the right setting for the manual shift mode, it would hold whatever gear you put it in.

Ok thanks for the info. I figure if it is foreign to you OGs, then it must not be out there. I was primarily curious because I came from the third gen taco world and there were several tunes that accomplished this.

I'd enjoy it for driving around and not having it drop down when squeezing the throttle a bit more for a little added vroom (AWE 0FG), but also wondered for dyno settings. I watched a video of someone trying to quantify Hp gain due to an intake install on a dyno (yeah, an intake...), but they could not accurately dyno the truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. I figure if it is foreign to you OGs, then it must not be out there. I was primarily curious because I came from the third gen taco world and there were several tunes that accomplished this.

I'd enjoy it for driving around and not having it drop down when squeezing the throttle a bit more for a little added vroom (AWE 0FG), but also wondered for dyno settings. I watched a video of someone trying to quantify Hp gain due to an intake install on a dyno (yeah, an intake...), but they could not accurately dyno the truck.
Sounds like whoever was operating the dyno doesn't know how to dyno modern Mopar vehicles then.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the question came up because the TRX can hold a gear? Maybe I'm thinking back to Chevy days, sorry.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the question came up because the TRX can hold a gear? Maybe I'm thinking back to Chevy days, sorry.
Think you need to have the true manual mode like the TRX or GTs have. And nobody has been able to enable that on a truck yet.

Users who are viewing this thread