5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downhill Driving

Bigbags85

Reaction score
This truck (for being just a regular gas consumer vehicle) is nothing short of amazing downhill. I was recently on a trip to NH and driving on 7-12% grade roads. With Cruise control on the truck would just downshift to 3rd or 4th and hold the speed. I have never had a regular vehicle that would just do that on it's own. I was nothing short of stunned to find out it could handle downhill roads this effectively by itself. Every other vehicle was on and off their brakes and this would just hold steady. It was really helpful to me too because I have plantar fasciitis thanks to Uncle Sam so my feet are always in pain so this was just a bonus not having to ride the brakes.

Claude Henry

Reaction score
I knew my Ram was good at this, being in the Black Hills, but I didn't know how good until a trip to Winter Park, CO, last month. It did very, very well. I was impressed.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
This truck (for being just a regular gas consumer vehicle) is nothing short of amazing downhill. I was recently on a trip to NH and driving on 7-12% grade roads. With Cruise control on the truck would just downshift to 3rd or 4th and hold the speed. I have never had a regular vehicle that would just do that on it's own. I was nothing short of stunned to find out it could handle downhill roads this effectively by itself. Every other vehicle was on and off their brakes and this would just hold steady. It was really helpful to me too because I have plantar fasciitis thanks to Uncle Sam so my feet are always in pain so this was just a bonus not having to ride the brakes.
yup this was something I found out while traveling the mountains around durango co. last month. pretty cool feature.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Yeah, I found that very handy coming down the Grapevine on Interstate 5.

Tow/haul will also hold speed by downshifting. If you take your foot off the gas at 45 mph on a downgrade, it will downshift before you get to 50. And keep doing it if needed to hold you around 45. If you hit the brakes to slow down, say for a curve, it will use that new lower speed as the new target. When things level off you'll have to give it some throttle to make it upshift and speed up again. Or turn off tow/haul.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The engine braking is pretty amazing in this thing, specially considering it's a slushbox, I've gone from 3rd to 2nd and it dragged the rear tires

bpwj76

Reaction score
It really comes in handy when towing a travel trailer too. Engine braking when using cruise control is pretty intuitive on its own. It will downshift way on down there to maintain the set speed. I've noticed if you tap the brake pedal going down hill (when not using cruise), it will downshift. It's like the truck says "Oh, you need some engine braking? Here you go."

Users who are viewing this thread