5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door Wind Noise Fix

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok, I have read many complaints of wind noise with the 1500. Although some of the reasons vary, the majority seem to hear wind coming from the top corner of the doors. This is where I was hearing it.

Looking at the seal here I see that it is quite flimsy. It is held in place, like most, with clips every 6 inches or so. Unclip it and you will see that the hollow weather seal is open at the bottom in the corners. It looks like a very poor molding process. I imagine the foam is made in China, shipped to Mexico to be formed into shape then shipped to the US to be clipped in and proudly say "Ram Trucks. Made in America!".

I looked and said I can make it better with some 'Mercan injun'nuity.

I bought some 1/4" EPDM backer rod and black automotive weatherstrip adhesive from my buddy Bezos.

71FPtRODsaL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I then unsnapped the weather stripping from around half the door. It helps to have one of these or similar:

31TVLKLSRYL._AC_.jpg

I then fished a wire down from the top corner to the bottom section of the weatherstripping through its hollow core. I cut a slit at the bottom to access it and taped the backer rod on to feed it up through the hollow seal firming it up. Pulling the backer rod through took a little silicone lubricant. A water based lube (yes similar to that.....) would work best but eh, the spray was on hand. I fished the backer rod through the weatherstripping all the way around the door.

81VcsXTLYRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Then glued I it down with adhesive as I snapped it back in place. Extra sealant was used in the corners.

71SWqHjEN+S._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Once I did the front and back door and let it set up overnight with the doors shut the morning commute was much quieter. You still hear the mirrors buffeting the wind but not whistling past the seal. If you try it, I hope it works for you.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I have read many complaints of wind noise with the 1500. Although some of the reasons vary, the majority seem to hear wind coming from the top corner of the doors. This is where I was hearing it.

Looking at the seal here I see that it is quite flimsy. It is held in place, like most, with clips every 6 inches or so. Unclip it and you will see that the hollow weather seal is open at the bottom in the corners. It looks like a very poor molding process. I imagine the foam is made in China, shipped to Mexico to be formed into shape then shipped to the US to be clipped in and proudly say "Ram Trucks. Made in America!".

I bought some 1/4" EPDM backer rod and black automotive weatherstrip adhesive from my buddy Bezos.

View attachment 170287

I then unsnapped the weather stripping from around half the door. It helps to have one of these or similar:

View attachment 170293

I then fished a wire down from the top corner to the bottom section of the weatherstripping through its hollow core. I cut a slit at the bottom to access it and taped the backer rod on to feed it up through the hollow seal firming it up. Pulling the backer rod through took a little silicone lubricant. A water based lube (yes similar to that.....) would work best but eh, the spray was on hand. I fished the backer rod through the weatherstripping all the way around the door.

View attachment 170295

Then glued I it down with adhesive as I snapped it back in place. Extra sealant was used in the corners.

View attachment 170294
Once I did the front and back door and let it set up overnight with the doors shut the morning commute was much quieter. You still hear the mirrors buffeting the wind but not whistling past the seal. If you try it, I hope it works for you.
You sir, just took DIY to an other level. :D

CTRam1500

Reaction score

View attachment 170287

View attachment 170293

View attachment 170295

View attachment 170294

CTRam1500

Reaction score
Great article on how to fix this problem.

But RAM has to get off it's rocker and put in service Bulletins or made new and improved parts to STOP the wind noise.

Why do WE, the DIY customers who love our trucks make the PROPER REPAIR to our vehicles under WARRANTY.

Pissed off Veteran

montyh

Reaction score
My truck is loud as hell in the cab when its windy to the point I slow down trying to stop the insanity. Do the doors even have a seal on them? It couldn't be much worse... then I have the teapot whistling when it's cold like 40 or below.

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
My truck is loud as hell in the cab when its windy to the point I slow down trying to stop the insanity. Do the doors even have a seal on them? It couldn't be much worse... then I have the teapot whistling when it's cold like 40 or below.
Same here. On really windy days it just whips right through. Worst out of any vehicle I've owned

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Great article on how to fix this problem.

But RAM has to get off it's rocker and put in service Bulletins or made new and improved parts to STOP the wind noise.

Why do WE, the DIY customers who love our trucks make the PROPER REPAIR to our vehicles under WARRANTY.

Pissed off Veteran
A manufacturer doing something that might cost a dollar of profit?!? giphy (1).gif

Phippy

Reaction score
Thought cabin wind noise was only a Tundra thing. Wouldn't of known since all my Rams that I've owned have been extremely quiet unlike the 18' F150 that was short lived.

Users who are viewing this thread