5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door Panel Removal - Tricks or Tools

dreinert

Reaction score
I have the instructions to remove the door panel that are posted and it calls for special trim Tool C-4829A, which looks to be metal to undo all of the clips.

Has anyone successfully removed the interior door panels with a plastic trim tool? Any tricks or best spot on panel to start?

I have a decent set that's primarily plastic tools but even the ones that are 1/4" thick seem to bend before a clip will pop free. I have already removed the door bolts and the window switch. I looked at the videos for 2017 ram door panel removal and all the hardware was essentially external.

That C-4829A tool is $50 after shipping so I don't want to get it if I don't need it but I also don't want to break $40 worth of plastic tools in the effort either.

Thanks,

Dallas

Leadbedr

Reaction score
I took mine off with a cheap harbor freight plastic tool.
You just have to pull pretty hard. I was kinda scared pulling it off at first, but it eventually came off

dreinert

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I ran to harbor freight and got a metal and nylon set and the nylon set was bending so much I was expecting it to snap and it started to mar up the plastic from so much force. I was able to get a few free from the top section but the bottom ones woudn't budge. I guess I'll wait until a hot day next spring and see if the plastic pins soften up at all to make removal easier.

Seems ridiculous that the clips they used require that much force....plus the 3 bolts...seems maybe just ever so slightly excessive.

dreinert

Reaction score
Got it removed. Attached are some pics including the spot that I was able to get it started from. I pried on that fastener while pulling on the door compartment with my other hand, I used my knee against the metal door corner to keep the door in place.

Once that one let go all the lower ones let loose too, some slight prying and pulling for the top ones and it came free. I will say that door panel probably weighs 10lbs which was unexpected.

Last pic is all tools I used to get the panel off.

Hope it helps!

Attachments

• IMG_4247.jpg
    IMG_4247.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_4249.jpg
    IMG_4249.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_4248.jpg
    IMG_4248.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 324

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got it removed. Attached are some pics including the spot that I was able to get it started from. I pried on that fastener while pulling on the door compartment with my other hand, I used my knee against the metal door corner to keep the door in place.

Once that one let go all the lower ones let loose too, some slight prying and pulling for the top ones and it came free. I will say that door panel probably weighs 10lbs which was unexpected.

Last pic is all tools I used to get the panel off.

Hope it helps!
Glad you got it off. No tools really are needed. They are just on tight. For anybody else trying to remove them, start from the bottom outside corner. I just put my hand underneath and pulled away. Once one pops out, the rest of them go pretty easy.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the instructions to remove the door panel that are posted and it calls for special trim Tool C-4829A, which looks to be metal to undo all of the clips.

Has anyone successfully removed the interior door panels with a plastic trim tool? Any tricks or best spot on panel to start?

I have a decent set that's primarily plastic tools but even the ones that are 1/4" thick seem to bend before a clip will pop free. I have already removed the door bolts and the window switch. I looked at the videos for 2017 ram door panel removal and all the hardware was essentially external.

That C-4829A tool is $50 after shipping so I don't want to get it if I don't need it but I also don't want to break $40 worth of plastic tools in the effort either.

Thanks,

Dallas
I know this is a little late but ill leave here it anyways. I made this for a guy that was having a door rattle issue in his drivers door.

Attachments

• Front Door - Door Trim Panel - Removal and Installation.pdf
    875.7 KB · Views: 327

davepmcc

Reaction score
That is a really nice write-up Billet1500 4x4. I plan to use it on my 2021 Ram 1500 soon

McRAM19

Reaction score
I know this is a little late but ill leave here it anyways. I made this for a guy that was having a door rattle issue in his drivers door.
That's an excellent instruction guide. Do you have any part numbers for new clips for the bottom part of the door panels? Mine for some reason won't lock in place. The side and top ones are all good.

Kdawg4wheels

Reaction score
That's an excellent instruction guide. Do you have any part numbers for new clips for the bottom part of the door panels? Mine for some reason won't lock in place. The side and top ones are all good.
Let me know if you ever got the part number for the plastic clips

Users who are viewing this thread