5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door dings

brains3

Reaction score
I swear this truck is a magnet for other car doors. Is there a cheap and easy fix that actually works to repair door dings?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
The PDR guy comes to my house and usually charges me a flat fee for the first couple of dings and then 25 per ding after that, if on doors or other easily accessed areas. If I go to him, usually on a dealer lot or wherever he is working at the time, it's 25-50 per ding depending on location.

Not sure how much cheaper you are looking to go. But, I can tell you this from experience, if you don't do this kind of thing every single day....then you aren't gong to be good enough at it to get a satisfactory result. If you want it done right, to the point you'll actually be happy with it, pay the money and let a pro handle it for you.

Just my opinion on the matter. Good luck.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I swear this truck is a magnet for other car doors. Is there a cheap and easy fix that actually works to repair door dings?
Y'all might want to re-think where you park..... I have no idea what you own, midel, equipment as you haven't created a signature. If you have a truck with power running boards try deploying them.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No good solution except:

1. Pick your parking spots carefully. I aim for end spots where the only car I'm next to is on my driver's side/their passenger side. Since most cars carry 1 person, this cuts your ding chances down enormously. If that's not possible I will try to go further away, which gives me exercise, or next to a double-wide handicapped spot.

2. Put some permanent running boards on the truck. No guarantee but will catch the doors on lower cars.

3. Find a good PDR guy and use him when you've got a handful to do all at once.

4. Eventually come to terms with the fact that it's a truck and will get dings, and that's just the way it is.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I feel for you. That's why I park on the ends whenever I can (and far away from building entrances, etc, since the majority of people are lazy).
If I find myself with no choice, I put my truck in OR2 and keep the steps deployed to get some protection from other vehicles, and in the event that I do, I want it to be as low on the body as possible. Thankfully not dings as of yet.

WanderingRam

Reaction score
I usually park with the curb on one side and try to be on the passenger side of cars that pull head in. I think this greatly reduces the chance of getting dings. One day I was in a rush and didn't follow my parking rules and got two door dings on my driver door.

Matt92037

Reaction score
People that open their car doors on others are a lower for of human. Want to know my advice to not getting door dings? Try your best to park next to other trucks. For the most part, dudes that drive trucks don’t open their doors on other cars.

WanderingRam

Reaction score
People that open their car doors on others are a lower for of human. Want to know my advice to not getting door dings? Try your best to park next to other trucks. For the most part, dudes that drive trucks don’t open their doors on other cars.
Someone backed into my truck this weekend and ran. My neighbor's truck has been MIA since and the tail light fragments left all over my driveway matches the missing truck :unsure: I don't understand people.

RenoRam

Reaction score
A good PDR guy and parking further is usually the best medicine. Still no guarantee that you won't get dings no matter how you baby your truck

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Oh, and while on the subject, I always make it a point not to park under trees, light poles, power lines, etc. to avoid bird poop on the paint. That stuff is seriously damaging to your paint and it will etch it if left it to dry... I carry a bottle of detailing spray just in case. A quick wipe will save you from having to make an expensive repair later.

Cheers,

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
No good solution except:

1. Pick your parking spots carefully. I aim for end spots where the only car I'm next to is on my driver's side/their passenger side. Since most cars carry 1 person, this cuts your ding chances down enormously. If that's not possible I will try to go further away, which gives me exercise, or next to a double-wide handicapped spot.

2. Put some permanent running boards on the truck. No guarantee but will catch the doors on lower cars.

3. Find a good PDR guy and use him when you've got a handful to do all at once.

4. Eventually come to terms with the fact that it's a truck and will get dings, and that's just the way it is.

This is all good advice. I keep step bars on my truck for no other reason than to prevent door dings. You wanna slam your door into me? Fine, but I'm not going to suffer the consequences.

klail

Reaction score
Like others, I always park far and walk, try to find end spots, and try to find other vehicles that look like the owner washes and takes care of regularly. This doesn't necessarily include new vehicles, just nicely maintained vehicles.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel for you. That's why I park on the ends whenever I can (and far away from building entrances, etc, since the majority of people are lazy).
If I find myself with no choice, I put my truck in OR2 and keep the steps deployed to get some protection from other vehicles, and in the event that I do, I want it to be as low on the body as possible. Thankfully not dings as of yet.
Do you know to keep the AMP Power boards deployed? Great idea

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always park far out away from other vehicles unless its unavoidable. I also don't park across from other big trucks or SUV's, not everyone can drive them and I can't count the number of times I've scene drivers in large trucks or SUV's back out of a spot and bump the car/truck on the other side.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always park far out away from other vehicles unless its unavoidable. I also don't park across from other big trucks or SUV's, not everyone can drive them and I can't count the number of times I've scene drivers in large trucks or SUV's back out of a spot and bump the car/truck on the other side.
I, like the others, always opt for an end if available and park beyond the lines. I also look for pristine cars that the owner obviously cares about to park next to if I dont have a choice. Deploying running boards and raising the air suspension to OR2 is also my go to move.

Users who are viewing this thread