5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door dings

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anybody noticed how easy these 5th Gens get door dings compared to previous models?

I had two 4th Gens and never had one single ding on them anywhere.

Found two already on my 2022 right by the drivers side door handle. Unfortunately I see them every single time I open the door so they bug the heck out of me.

D50ED39E-6D01-4789-9905-C05CC879DD19.jpeg
I plan on getting them fixed but hate it I have to do this on such a new vehicle. Thinking Paintless Dent Removal is my best option.

Has anybody had success doing this themselves on small dings? I’ve seen the tools for sale and wondering how well this works. Might be a good investment for the future because I’m sure there will be more.

Hoping for an easy fix so thought I would ask you guys first.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody noticed how easy these 5th Gens get door dings compared to previous models?

I had two 4th Gens and never had one single ding on them anywhere.

Found two already on my 2022 right by the drivers side door handle. Unfortunately I see them every single time I open the door so they bug the heck out of me.

View attachment 154038
I plan on getting them fixed but hate it I have to do this on such a new vehicle. Thinking Paintless Dent Removal is my best option.

Has anybody had success doing this themselves on small dings? I’ve seen the tools for sale and wondering how well this works. Might be a good investment for the future because I’m sure there will be more.

Hoping for an easy fix so thought I would ask you guys first.
I haven't found any on my '22. How do you suppose they got there?
Maybe you can pull your door panel off and massage them out from the inside?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven't found any on my '22. How do you suppose they got there?
Maybe you can pull your door panel off and massage them out from the inside?
Good question. Likely got them at work. Seems like I park somewhere safe and then someone always feels the need to park close. Never had an issue before with any other vehicles over the past 25 years parking there.😖

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have three small ones all on the passenger side. One was from backing over a water bottle that rickishayed off the side of the garage wall and into the side of the bed, another was from myself when I slide on some ice right next to the truck and put my hand out to catch myself, left a little impression under the window.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
A good PDR guy should have no problems getting those out. As long as the paint wasn't damaged you won't see any traces of them. As to whether you could do it yourself with the proper tools, there's no way for us to answer that question without knowing your skills. I'd probably practice on a car I didn't care about if I was looking to fix that myself.

Mikgyver

Reaction score
Yes, my 2021 Larimie gets dings if you look at it wrong. Also paint chips like crazy from highway driving. You can look into a PDR guy that uses the glue system so there are no holes drilled into the side of the door. Small dings like that are very hard to get perfect unless you know what your are doing. You tend to put high spots into the panel when working on them. My father was into PDR for years before moving into interior trim....

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, my 2021 Larimie gets dings if you look at it wrong. Also paint chips like crazy from highway driving. You can look into a PDR guy that uses the glue system so there are no holes drilled into the side of the door. Small dings like that are very hard to get perfect unless you know what your are doing. You tend to put high spots into the panel when working on them. My father was into PDR for years before moving into interior trim....
Not sure about the dents, because I am very carful and I refuse to park by anyone. But I have Also noticed the paint on these new rams chips off very easily. The worst of any vehicle I’ve ever had!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled mine onto an alignment rack the first month I owned it and promptly dented the driver’s side door on the airlock release lever on the rack next to it. It barely tapped the lever and it looked like a golf ball hit it. I was pretty disappointed in that happening so easily. I’m waiting for more dents to happen before I call a PDR guy.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Yeah I have a few dings in my back doors and one on above my rear driver side tire. Happened with relatively light taps too, pretty disappointing.

I recently did some some offroading and got fairly stuck in a mudhole. Took a lot of back and forth gunning in 4lo to get out. Turns out there were tons of rocks deep in this mudhole so now the whole passenger side of my truck has deep gouges and scratches in the paint. My factory night edition wheels are also chipped up big time, looks like I took a chisel and hammer to them. Pretty disappointed.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All I have to do is reach into the bed and cause dents in the fenders and the tail gate,
this thing has some thin sheet-metal.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All I have to do is reach into the bed and cause dents in the fenders and the tail gate,
this thing has some thin sheet-metal.
Yeah, I bet we could just about massage them out with finger pressure from the backside. If I get one that I can get my hand behind, I’m going to try it.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't do it yourself if you don't understand how metal works. You could easily damage the panel, and if done incorrectly, could also damage the paint. A PDR guy will probably charge like $50 to get both of those as they are small and simple. The glue system isn't needed for these. The proper rod down the window channel and about 10 minutes and you're good to go. The kits you buy do not work. Have you ever seen an "as seen on TV" product actually live up to its advertisement?

BTW, I do PDR on the side, so I do know what I'm talking about.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't do it yourself if you don't understand how metal works. You could easily damage the panel, and if done incorrectly, could also damage the paint. A PDR guy will probably charge like $50 to get both of those as they are small and simple. The glue system isn't needed for these. The proper rod down the window channel and about 10 minutes and you're good to go. The kits you buy do not work. Have you ever seen an "as seen on TV" product actually live up to its advertisement?

BTW, I do PDR on the side, so I do know what I'm talking about.
Come on man, these fingers are like a whale tail.

That sounded wildly inappropriate, lol

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that, I understand. If the area is tight and/or double walled for support in that area, a whale tail would be my go to!!!

Dogpound

Reaction score
My 2019 got 2, one from my own stupidity- swung ski boots over my shoulder and the heel hit the rear cab, the other was a Home Depot shopping cart . Anyway , paid the PDR guy ….. not for the faint of heart when he’s tapping away with the flat steel hammer on your paint. But it came out perfect , I’m pretty handy and I would not try it on my truck!! Pay the man- you’ll be happy you did

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just found one on my Tailgate yesterday. I never backed into anything, so I don't have a clue what caused it.
I guess i got to get my second Dashcam set up inside the Cap.

Malodave

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I gad a couple dings removed from my 11 ram by the paintless dent repair shop in town. They did a great job on them. I haven't found any on my 21 5th gen yet but I personally think both models are made out of recycled tin soda cans. The metal seems to be so thin and not very durable at all.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lol, I have those for house and grade 2 bolts, and I haven’t had one break yet. Now that I see that, I’ll probably break one tomorrow.
They work good, only problem is they are double sided, so you gota be careful putting them in your drill.
I got them from the as seen on TV store in Foxwoods or Mohegan I forget.

I have a set from China that are like regular bits and work great too.

Users who are viewing this thread