5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door Dings. Sigh. Aftermarket side moldings....

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just took a weekend trip to the beach with the wife. Great trip, great truck.

Seriously, this thing just keeps impressing me more and more as I keep using it.

Of course, as the title implies, I came back with battle damage. I am not impressed with the jackholes sharing the parking lots. Yes, I parked away. Yes, I stayed in my spot. Yes, others parked near me, later. At some point, the passenger side got dinged. An impact on the door panel crease. So, pretty noticeable. I got most of the paint transfer off, but I have some chipped clearcoat. (I've got a touchup pen that I bought, and it will see some use now.)

Look it's a truck and it will get some impacts. Sheet metal and paint. But I'd like to be the one that does the damage, not a random stranger who doesn't care about my property.

So, I found this website: https://www.customautotrim.com/body-side-moldings/

I'm leaning, hard, at their MDG167 (link: https://www.customautotrim.com/body-side-moldings/body-side-moldings/mdg167univ/142/ ). I'll pay them to custom paint it to match my truck's paint. With their sale price, it's looking like a decent deal.

Any thoughts?

2001gw

Reaction score
Google "Paintless dent repair". I just had several dents removed on my wife's Nissan Rogue. The results are quite impressive. We see absolutely no signs of where the "door dings" were.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just took a weekend trip to the beach with the wife. Great trip, great truck.

Seriously, this thing just keeps impressing me more and more as I keep using it.

Of course, as the title implies, I came back with battle damage. I am not impressed with the jackholes sharing the parking lots. Yes, I parked away. Yes, I stayed in my spot. Yes, others parked near me, later. At some point, the passenger side got dinged. An impact on the door panel crease. So, pretty noticeable. I got most of the paint transfer off, but I have some chipped clearcoat. (I've got a touchup pen that I bought, and it will see some use now.)

Look it's a truck and it will get some impacts. Sheet metal and paint. But I'd like to be the one that does the damage, not a random stranger who doesn't care about my property.

So, I found this website: https://www.customautotrim.com/body-side-moldings/

I'm leaning, hard, at their MDG167 (link: https://www.customautotrim.com/body-side-moldings/body-side-moldings/mdg167univ/142/ ). I'll pay them to custom paint it to match my truck's paint. With their sale price, it's looking like a decent deal.

Any thoughts?
Another option and I’ve helped install these…quality and spot on paint match:

Reactions: c3k

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Google "Paintless dent repair". I just had several dents removed on my wife's Nissan Rogue. The results are quite impressive. We see absolutely no signs of where the "door dings" were.
The dent is not on a flat panel. It's right on a crease. The metal has been stretched. I'm not sure if this technique can work in this situation. But I for sure am not an expert...

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Another option and I’ve helped install these…quality and spot on paint match:

This is what I'd do. I was going to suggest the Limited's molding but these painted would be better.

I avoid door dings by raising the truck to off road 2 then deploying the side steps. There will be some dinging going on but they will be the recipients

FM45

Reaction score
here is another option---

-=FM45=-

Zig10

Reaction score
If you get a good PDR guy they can handle it on a curved surface. I had one pull a dent out of my last truck caused by an errand golf ball. Hit the roof right at the seam. I dropped the headliner out for him and he said he'd give it a try, no charge if he couldn't do it.

Took him 35 minutes and you couldn't see the dent when he was done.

sessman

Reaction score
The dent is not on a flat panel. It's right on a crease. The metal has been stretched. I'm not sure if this technique can work in this situation. But I for sure am not an expert...
I had one right on the crease and a PDR guy took it out perfectly. There's a plastic cap on the inside/side of the door that he popped off and was able to get right to it.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like there are some good options with PDR. I'll give have to see what's available in my neck of the woods, near Winston-Salem.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you get a good PDR guy they can handle it on a curved surface. I had one pull a dent out of my last truck caused by an errand golf ball. Hit the roof right at the seam. I dropped the headliner out for him and he said he'd give it a try, no charge if he couldn't do it.

Took him 35 minutes and you couldn't see the dent when he was done.
PDR is great, it looks so simple but is an art just like window tint (at least to me it is). These are two things I will always pay people to do because I got tired of pulling my hair out trying to learn them well.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed let a quality PDR guy tackle it you may be surprised. As long as the paints not cracked they can do wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2001gw

Reaction score
One of the dents in the wife's car was directly on a crease. When the PDR guy was finished we could not tell there was ever a dent there.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since you said it's chipped the PDR is not going to help.

To prevent further dings, 6 inch lift an wide running boards.

Reactions: c3k

mmcbeat

Reaction score
The best defense against door dings I ever had was on a Ford Expedition. This vehicle had very substantial running boards.

Users who are viewing this thread