5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door Assist Interior Lighting HELP

Jocoo26

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel. I installed RGB LED light bars in the footwells. My goal is to have the footwells illuminate when the door is opened. I normally keep the interior light switch in the off position so none of the factory interior lights illuminate when the doors are opened. If I connect the LEDs to an interior light source, and turn the switch to the auto position, they come on with the factory lights, however the factory interior lights are so bright that they drown out the color of the footwells. If I turn the interior light switch to the off position, neither the interior lights nor footwells get power. SO, if you haven’t guessed it already, I’m looking for a way to have my footwells illuminate when the door is opened without all the other interior lights illuminating (aside from pulling all the interior bulbs). Any help would be appreciated.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel. I installed RGB LED light bars in the footwells. My goal is to have the footwells illuminate when the door is opened. I normally keep the interior light switch in the off position so none of the factory interior lights illuminate when the doors are opened. If I connect the LEDs to an interior light source, and turn the switch to the auto position, they come on with the factory lights, however the factory interior lights are so bright that they drown out the color of the footwells. If I turn the interior light switch to the off position, neither the interior lights nor footwells get power. SO, if you haven’t guessed it already, I’m looking for a way to have my footwells illuminate when the door is opened without all the other interior lights illuminating (aside from pulling all the interior bulbs). Any help would be appreciated.
You're going to have to tap into the interior light power circuit upstream of the switch. Use a relay to control your new lights.
Or, if you don't use your interior lights, remove the bulbs or put red leds or a tolerable color.

Jocoo26

Reaction score
You're going to have to tap into the interior light power circuit upstream of the switch. Use a relay to control your new lights.
Or, if you don't use your interior lights, remove the bulbs or put red leds or a tolerable color.
I’ve considered that, however if I tap in before the switch, then the lights are always “hot.” The same as if I tapped into the interior light fuse. I’m thinking I need to tap somewhere into the door sensor, however I’m not sure where that is located.

Jocoo26

Reaction score
Is there anyone that could provide a wiring diagram for my truck?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve considered that, however if I tap in before the switch, then the lights are always “hot.” The same as if I tapped into the interior light fuse. I’m thinking I need to tap somewhere into the door sensor, however I’m not sure where that is located.
I don't have any diagrams. Others might.
Yes, you'd have to find the power circuit controlled by the door switch.
You can pull the overhead console down and check the circuits for voltage that go to the light control switches. Trace it back from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/