5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door adjustment

Moparluver

Reaction score
I just watched my dealer take a 2x4 wrapped in a rag to bend the bottom of my door in.. really? He didn't even try to adjust the hinge. What would you guys do?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just watched my dealer take a 2x4 wrapped in a rag to bend the bottom of my door in.. really? He didn't even try to adjust the hinge. What would you guys do?

I’d bend the 2x4 around the tech that tried that. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The hinges on our trucks are not slotted, there is almost no adjustment at all. I am more surprised they allowed you to watch them ”adjust” your door.;)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most if not all doors are non adjustable at the hinge. On several I have owned, that is how I adjusted them. Learned it from a body man in the 60's by the way. Damaged the doors on my Silverado a few years back and got used ones from the wrecking yard , and had to do a little adjusting to get the perfect setup. Just don't over do it because it's hard to go back.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trying to envision the actual technique with the 2x4, but in general such adjustment procedures are not uncommon, especially with door adjustments. Years ago bending the upper door frames by hand/body pressure was a procedure in some of the GM service manuals, although I know that technique was also used by Ford techs as well.

There is some lateral movement in the hinges on DT Rams and normally more than enough to compensate for minor misalignment. But some with body shop experience might just find is quicker to use a 2x4.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038188 miles.

Moparluver

Reaction score
Forgot to show the damage. You can see the bend line. Thing is, he didn't even touch the hinges. I saw him adjust the striker, then started riffing on the edge with his wood block.
ec0b4ffd30fc1ddc244b4297adf8025d.jpg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgot to show the damage. You can see the bend line. Thing is, he didn't even touch the hinges. I saw him adjust the striker, then started riffing on the edge with his wood block.
ec0b4ffd30fc1ddc244b4297adf8025d.jpg

My apologies. I couldn't imagine how it was done with a piece of wood. I didn't realize that the 'technicians' process was that freaking crude and damaged the vehicle! I hope the dealers' service department makes it good with you. And I hope someone takes that 2x4 away from whoever did this.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038318 miles.

Moparluver

Reaction score
It makes you wonder how many they "repaired” with the same process. I should be getting a call on Monday from the service department manager. I told them they'd be replacing my door. My guess is they'll want to take it to the body shop Dolly that out, Bondo and repaint the door.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Yes they owe you a door IMO. Don't settle for them trying to bend that damage back. I would be furious enough to raise this to upper management at that dealership. That tech, or whomever instructed him to do that, or both, should be fired over this.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Auto dealers can be less than considerate when working on customer vehicles, that is for sure. Sometimes even airheaded. Went in to pick my Limited up after having the mirrors replaced under warranty, and the mechanic, aka. technician (BIG LAUGH) had neglected to replace the stock chrome covers on the new mirrors with the body colored covers that were on the my mirrors. Had to wait while they finished the job. Seams like a repair would include returning the vehicle with the same options it came in with in a case like that.

Moparluver

Reaction score
They are going to take a door off a new truck on the lot and swap me out so I don't have to deal with paint issues. Glad they are doing the right thing. Moral of the story? don't let a mechanic fix your alignment. Request that the body shop handle the job.

ChevyFord

Reaction score
20200913_102338.jpg
Here's a picture of the top of my 2020 Limited. Went to the dealer today to look at others and they all seem okay.
Can it actually be fixed? The quality control is brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread