5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dont purchase the Ram one piece color coordinated tonneau cover.

41magmag41

Reaction score
So here's my story. Two months ago I decided to pull the trigger on a factory {Ram} one piece color coordinated tonneau cover for my 2019 Bighorn 1500 4 x 4. I got a good price with a coupon from my dealer with installation. Fast forward to 2 days ago, I went to put my tools back in the bed and noticed the drivers side latch wasn't catching, so off to the dealer, Bob Mariano in Concord, NH to get it adjusted under the 12000 mile, 1 year warranty. The service rep came out in about half an hour and said the tonneau had to be adjusted and it would cost me half an hours labor. I asked two questions, one, what about the one year warranty and was told it only applied to defects in the product and the second one, floored me with the answer from the rep, I asked what would cause it to be out of adjustment and was told BECAUSE I OPENED AND CLOSED THE TONNEAU ON THE TRUCK, using like it was supposed to be used. I then said then you're telling that every 2 months I'll have to come in and pay to adjust it and the dealer rep just shrugged his shoulders.

While waiting for my truck I got on line with Ram Cares and was told they couldn't help me either. So the moral is DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT FROM RAM GO WITH A AFTER MARKET TONNEAU.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wowser! They can make an awesome truck but can't get the bed cover right? Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the info.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just another example of how horrible Ram service is. It’s an absolute joke. I feel bad for ya man, that’s pathetic on their part! Hopefully you can figure out how to adjust it yourself and it’s a quick fix.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My opinion is the cover is probably fine and just a crappy install that wasn't done correctly the first time by a crappy dealer not standing behind there work.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can't locate the installation instructions for the mopar cover.
Also tried this:
Didn't find anything.

I have the DiamondBack and the following is in the instruction manual.
"Road vibration can loosen your clamps. Retighten them after 100 miles. Check them every time you haul on top."
I believe this may be listed in other brands to check/retighten after X amount of time or miles after installation.

41magmag41

Reaction score
Can't locate the installation instructions for the mopar cover.
Also tried this:
Didn't find anything.

I have the DiamondBack and the following is in the instruction manual.
"Road vibration can loosen your clamps. Retighten them after 100 miles. Check them every time you haul on top."
I believe this may be listed in other brands to check/retighten after X amount of time or miles after installation.
thanks for the info.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
So here's my story. Two months ago I decided to pull the trigger on a factory {Ram} one piece color coordinated tonneau cover for my 2019 Bighorn 1500 4 x 4. I got a good price with a coupon from my dealer with installation. Fast forward to 2 days ago, I went to put my tools back in the bed and noticed the drivers side latch wasn't catching, so off to the dealer, Bob Mariano in Concord, NH to get it adjusted under the 12000 mile, 1 year warranty. The service rep came out in about half an hour and said the tonneau had to be adjusted and it would cost me half an hours labor. I asked two questions, one, what about the one year warranty and was told it only applied to defects in the product and the second one, floored me with the answer from the rep, I asked what would cause it to be out of adjustment and was told BECAUSE I OPENED AND CLOSED THE TONNEAU ON THE TRUCK, using like it was supposed to be used. I then said then you're telling that every 2 months I'll have to come in and pay to adjust it and the dealer rep just shrugged his shoulders.

While waiting for my truck I got on line with Ram Cares and was told they couldn't help me either. So the moral is DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT FROM RAM GO WITH A AFTER MARKET TONNEAU.
OK, have a MY 19 Bighorn CC 4 X 4. Back in 2018/late got Full Color Matched Tonneau Cover installed by Dealer. The cover works as intended. The only issue, sometimes when I close the Cover, the drivers side does not latch. SO I have grown accustomed to just pushing down to insure the side is latched. It has gotten better over the past few years. Latches most of the time, but I still verify. I dreaded the thought of having Dealer play with cover again, because I have learned sometimes things come out worse.

CAVEAT: I do not allow ne one to "close" my Tonneau Cover. On the Mopar ones, the end extends over the tailgate, and my Big Fear is some idjut put down cover then attempt to slam tailgate and shatter my cover. Just figured I would mention this. I have a pretty good dealership, so sometimes it is what it is.

ADDED: Gotta Call BS on what your Dealer told U on adjustment, a bunch of silly putty.

IMG_0836.JPG IMG_0838.JPG IMG_0840.JPG IMG_0862.JPG

41magmag41

Reaction score
OK, have a MY 19 Bighorn CC 4 X 4. Back in 2018/late got Full Color Matched Tonneau Cover installed by Dealer. The cover works as intended. The only issue, sometimes when I close the Cover, the drivers side does not latch. SO I have grown accustomed to just pushing down to insure the side is latched. It has gotten better over the past few years. Latches most of the time, but I still verify. I dreaded the thought of having Dealer play with cover again, because I have learned sometimes things come out worse.

CAVEAT: I do not allow ne one to "close" my Tonneau Cover. On the Mopar ones, the end extends over the tailgate, and my Big Fear is some idjut put down cover then attempt to slam tailgate and shatter my cover. Just figured I would mention this. I have a pretty good dealership, so sometimes it is what it is.

ADDED: Gotta Call BS on what your Dealer told U on adjustment, a bunch of silly putty.

View attachment 115114 View attachment 115115 View attachment 115116 View attachment 115117
damn, twin to my girl in color, and yup on closing the tailgate issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram/Mopar does not make the covers they just sell a repackaged version of someone else's.

As mentioned, sounds like there was a poor installation causing the latch to not work properly after you used the tonneau. Since the dealer installed it's they should cover the fix within the warranty period. That is why you paid them to install it in the first place. Dealer just wants to make some money off of you, and you let them.

RamCares probably doesn't offer support for dealer installed accessories, even if they are Mopar parts.

Users who are viewing this thread