5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't know anything about speakers but I need help please?!?!

paulmtalleyjr

Reaction score
I have about $1000 budget to upgrade my speakers per my wife, might could squeeze a little more. I have a big horn w/ the 8.4 screen and the alpine 9 speaker w/ subwoofer. I like bass(what i have is adequate for the time being) but am more concerned with highs and mids. I've tried to read several posts and the info is just over my head. Can anyone just give me a recommendation on what I should get my local dealer to do? also, i have no clue what speaker brands to go with?

I went in several weeks ago to one of them and they wanted me to get a whole new set up, $2,700 worth. I told them I thought you could just upgrade the speakers and not do the amp and wiring and all that but they said it would blow the speakers, even though from post on here that seems incorrect. I'd be okay with spending that much over time but I'm only gonna be allowed to do a little bit at a time.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry i haven't done anything with speakers in a vehicle since 1996.

805myth1

Reaction score
I also have the same 8.4" with alpine audio. You can change the speakers to whichever brand you like as long as they are close to 2 ohms impedance. And there is no need to rewire anything unless you want to add amplifiers. The only thing with these rams are the active noise canceling system needs to be disabled but that can be easily done with an acn delete harness.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also have the same 8.4" with alpine audio. You can change the speakers to whichever brand you like as long as they are close to 2 ohms impedance. And there is no need to rewire anything unless you want to add amplifiers. The only thing with these rams are the active noise canceling system needs to be disabled but that can be easily done with an acn delete harness.
Just curious, but why do you say you have to disable the ANC? I replaced all three of my dash speakers and didn't disable it.

805myth1

Reaction score
People on here have said that when adding an amp or even sometimes changing the door speakers, the acn picks up some droning sounds, similar to mic feed back. And to remedy that, they disable the acn mics. I put an acn bypass harness on mine for future install and it has not affected any bluetooth calls.

Attachments

• 20200701_154140.jpg
    20200701_154140.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 41

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to bypass ANC if you are only changing out the front door speakers and dash speakers, and continue to use the factory amp. The ANC in the Alpine uses the sub for the bulk of the noise, along with the door speakers. As long as you keep them wired the same as the factory you shouldn't get any drone noise. I believe the drone issue was with those who did not keep the same polarity as the factory.

If you decide to add an amp, you can simply disconnect the factory sub, use a PAC to run the fronts, and you still get use of the ANC from the rear speakers. you can fade the system to the front if you don't want to hear the rear speakers, but the ANC ignores fading and still works. Unplugging the sub is not quite as bad as bypassing the ANC completely. My wife nor I could handle the complete bypass, but we were able to live with the exhaust noise eliminated by the ANC with the sub disconnected (used an aftermarket sub with amp). The main thing we heard was exhaust rumble at take off and a few exhaust farts from time to time, but it wasn't excessive. At least subjectively it was not what I would consider excessive... your ears may tell you different. I've read where some owners have bypassed the ANC completely and can't tell a difference... leaves me scratching my head, or maybe it's because they are ALWAYS playing their music loud... I dunno. What I do know is that even with my bad hearing I could clearly tell a significant difference. RAM did not go thru the extreme engineering detail of the ANC for it NOT to make a difference.

Snider67

Reaction score
I have about $1000 budget to upgrade my speakers per my wife, might could squeeze a little more. I have a big horn w/ the 8.4 screen and the alpine 9 speaker w/ subwoofer. I like bass(what i have is adequate for the time being) but am more concerned with highs and mids. I've tried to read several posts and the info is just over my head. Can anyone just give me a recommendation on what I should get my local dealer to do? also, i have no clue what speaker brands to go with?

I went in several weeks ago to one of them and they wanted me to get a whole new set up, $2,700 worth. I told them I thought you could just upgrade the speakers and not do the amp and wiring and all that but they said it would blow the speakers, even though from post on here that seems incorrect. I'd be okay with spending that much over time but I'm only gonna be allowed to do a little bit at a time.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry i haven't done anything with speakers in a vehicle since 1996.
I wouldn't do anything that major... Just upgrade your speakers. Infinity or alpine are good products. Or play around with the equalizer..

805myth1

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to bypass ANC if you are only changing out the front door speakers and dash speakers, and continue to use the factory amp. The ANC in the Alpine uses the sub for the bulk of the noise, along with the door speakers. As long as you keep them wired the same as the factory you shouldn't get any drone noise. I believe the drone issue was with those who did not keep the same polarity as the factory.

If you decide to add an amp, you can simply disconnect the factory sub, use a PAC to run the fronts, and you still get use of the ANC from the rear speakers. you can fade the system to the front if you don't want to hear the rear speakers, but the ANC ignores fading and still works. Unplugging the sub is not quite as bad as bypassing the ANC completely. My wife nor I could handle the complete bypass, but we were able to live with the exhaust noise eliminated by the ANC with the sub disconnected (used an aftermarket sub with amp). The main thing we heard was exhaust rumble at take off and a few exhaust farts from time to time, but it wasn't excessive. At least subjectively it was not what I would consider excessive... your ears may tell you different. I've read where some owners have bypassed the ANC completely and can't tell a difference... leaves me scratching my head, or maybe it's because they are ALWAYS playing their music loud... I dunno. What I do know is that even with my bad hearing I could clearly tell a significant difference. RAM did not go thru the extreme engineering detail of the ANC for it NOT to make a difference.

I am going to install an lc7i and run a 5 channel amp for the door speakers and a single 12. I'm planning on leaving the dash and rear headliners connected to the factory amp, for now. That's why I will be disabling the acn. If everything works smoothly then I might put the rest of the speakers and an amp also.

Last edited:

Racing559

Reaction score
Just start small and work your way up. I think the Harmon Kardon sounds great. Add a bigger sub first. If that doesn’t suffice you then change out accordingly from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread