5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doggie freaking out

pitboss000

Reaction score
It might be related to the holes/gaps people are finding (hole in the driver-side firewall, grommets not being installed correctly, rear of cab being sealed poorly, etc.). Might benefit from sealing some of those up to reduce possible high frequency noise.

I may look into this hole in the firewall and grommets you speak of, but the cab vent's I'll leave alone. I love the way the doors close compared to my '16 Laramie. If I seal everything, I'll be back to slamming doors again.

Swayse

Reaction score
It might be related to the holes/gaps people are finding (hole in the driver-side firewall, grommets not being installed correctly, rear of cab being sealed poorly, etc.). Might benefit from sealing some of those up to reduce possible high frequency noise.

This makes sense. We’ve figured out it has to be wind noise. When we drive into a wind from the front/passenger side, at 75 mph, she starts freaking out. Slow down to 60, she’s fine. Speed back up to 75 mph, she starts looking at the drivers side rear door. So I guess I need to start looking at seals and plugs.

derp

Reaction score
This makes sense. We’ve figured out it has to be wind noise. When we drive into a wind from the front/passenger side, at 75 mph, she starts freaking out. Slow down to 60, she’s fine. Speed back up to 75 mph, she starts looking at the drivers side rear door. So I guess I need to start looking at seals and plugs.

there was another thread where a guy used a dynamat type material in the back of his ram. it would cover over a lot of the poor fitment of grommets and whatnot, and it would also add mass to the actual panels which could shift the resonant frequency away from what bothers your dogs. As I recall, independantly of the sound dampening of dynamat additional mass shifts the resonant frequency lower. Elastomers like dynamat on top of that are just great at turning mechanical energy from vibration into heat. you won't notice the additional heat due to that effect, but you would notice a drop in overall noise from the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread