5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does your AC turn itself on?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine must be haunted...

Have had no problems or QC issues, other than the rear door skins rattle when closed, but notice that my trucks AC comes on all by itself, even when the AC is turned off.

Driving down the road, with the AC off and air blowing from the vents at outside temp, the air coming out the vents will get much colder, all of a sudden, with no user intervention. A minute later, the air temp rises back to outside temp. Seems to happen more when it’s humid.

During that minute or so, if I turn the AC on, the air temp does not go down, which convinced me the ACc compressor was running, even as the AC and Autp were off.

Tell me somebody else has this gremlin??

Wsmith

Reaction score
Defrost setting perhaps, the compressor will run if defrost is selected. At least it did in my last few vehicles.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good thought, that would make sense, but nothing is on - just the fan.

i hate to ask the dealer, as they would take it for a forever test drive, and then flash too many things, and I’d wind up with more problems than I started with.

if no one else has seen this, maybe when the airbag recall is out...

RamLink83

Reaction score
Maybe there is a humidity sensor and it is turning the A/C on to dehumidify the cab when the humidity get's too high?

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good thought, that would make sense, but nothing is on - just the fan.

i hate to ask the dealer, as they would take it for a forever test drive, and then flash too many things, and I’d wind up with more problems than I started with.

if no one else has seen this, maybe when the airbag recall is out...
It was hot and humid yesterday on an out of state trip we took. I turned a/c off and turned fan off. On 4 separate occasions freezing cold air came out of the dash vents. No a/c light on. No defrost set. But fan magically set to like 4 or 6 speed setting. I hope they have a fix for it when it goes back for its windshield washer pump issue.

Reactions: cj7

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is a humidity sensor in the truck and it will automatically turn on the air conditioning to get rid of the humidity , as long as your windows are closed .

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a humidity sensor in the truck and it will automatically turn on the air conditioning to get rid of the humidity , as long as your windows are closed .
Ahhh. Thanks. So basically I have to keep the a/c bc it will turn it in even if I want to enjoy the open roof and windows?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine must be haunted...

Have had no problems or QC issues, other than the rear door skins rattle when closed, but notice that my trucks AC comes on all by itself, even when the AC is turned off.

Driving down the road, with the AC off and air blowing from the vents at outside temp, the air coming out the vents will get much colder, all of a sudden, with no user intervention. A minute later, the air temp rises back to outside temp. Seems to happen more when it’s humid.

During that minute or so, if I turn the AC on, the air temp does not go down, which convinced me the ACc compressor was running, even as the AC and Autp were off.

Yes. I have noticed the same thing, although it seems that it's just been happening recently. I've also noticed that it is not consistent.

I never use Auto, by the way.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038460 miles.

parnine

Reaction score
Mine operates the the same, there is no 'true vent' in these trucks !! - the AC compressor will come on when it should NOT.

No idea the programming by FCA causing it to happen but in my truck I can not find logic behind it (happens sporadically, windows open/close makes no difference) local dealers are clueless .....

ILikeBalloons&Cheese

Reaction score
Mine must be haunted...

No but mine takes forever to spin up. It's like a lagging turbo if I had to explain it.

Jim64

Reaction score
My truck does the same and I don’t use auto mode.

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
Mine operates the the same, there is no 'true vent' in these trucks !! - the AC compressor will come on when it should NOT.

They sell more blower motors and AC compressors that way.....criminal.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thx - curious, how do you know?

U

User_3336

The Jeep Grand Cherokee I'm leasing does it all the time, especially in the morning.....just went I really don't want a cool burst or air.

Users who are viewing this thread