5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this pass the common sense check?

csm41

Reaction score
I am planning to buy aftermarket wheels and tires and decided that I may as well upsize while I am at it. I really don't want a lot of lift and just want to do a level setup. That said, I have decided that I like the Bilstein B8 5100 Adjustable Lift Struts to do this. I also plan to add a rear Hellwig sway bar. The only mods I have added so far is a tonneau cover, Timber Grove Air Springs, Magnaflow 19433 muffler, and some RC step bars. I don't wheel the truck (have something much more capable for that) but I do tow my 28 foot travel trailer occasionally.

-Will I need upper control arms in order to get factory alignment?
-Can I fit a 35x12.5 without trimming or should I stay safe with 33's?
-Is there a better method or kit to level with than the Bilstein and if so, why is it preferable.
-What is the preferred method of correcting the speedometer after adding larger tires?

My Truck is a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Bighorn 4x4 with the ORG. My understanding is that since I have the ORG that the truck sits 1" taller than standard. Thanks in advance.

clazer

Reaction score
Two things in your post would make me concerned about 35’s: no trimming and unknown amount of backspace on the new rims. The further out you push the wheels, the more contact you’ll have with the fenders. Check the sticky in the wheels/tires section. Lots of good info.

csm41

Reaction score
Since I have a Bighorn with the Off Road Package I am at the same ride height as the Rebel. So I know that I don't have to change anything to fit the 275/70R18 (33's) that came on the Rebel. I was thinking of going to 20's or 22's with the equivalent offset. Anybody with my set up running 35's with a 2 inch level?

myles

Reaction score
I am planning to buy aftermarket wheels and tires and decided that I may as well upsize while I am at it. I really don't want a lot of lift and just want to do a level setup. That said, I have decided that I like the Bilstein B8 5100 Adjustable Lift Struts to do this. I also plan to add a rear Hellwig sway bar. The only mods I have added so far is a tonneau cover, Timber Grove Air Springs, Magnaflow 19433 muffler, and some RC step bars. I don't wheel the truck (have something much more capable for that) but I do tow my 28 foot travel trailer occasionally.

-Is there a better method or kit to level with than the Bilstein and if so, why is it preferable.
-What is the preferred method of correcting the speedometer after adding larger tires?

My Truck is a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Bighorn 4x4 with the ORG. My understanding is that since I have the ORG that the truck sits 1" taller than standard. Thanks in advance.
1. you may need upper control arms if you go to the tallest settings on the adjustable struts. search a few forums in the suspension section for info on this
2. you will need to go to the taller setting to fit 35s, and you may need to do some trimming, nothing major though.
3. everyone that has bilsteins seems to like them, seems like the most popular "budget" small lifts/levels are the rough country 3.5 w/ UCAs, ready lift 3.5 w/ UCAs, mopar 2" lift w/ UCAs and the bilsteins (does not include UCAs)
4. rough country makes a speedometer calibrator for about $130

csm41

Reaction score
Great input from the group. Just read in the wheel and tire section about a guy that runs 295/70R18 stock on his Rebel without trimming. Maybe I just add the sway bar and not lift at all. Thanks, guys.

Azram13

Reaction score

Are you still running the magnaflow 19433 direct fit? How do you like it? Have any sound clips?

Users who are viewing this thread