5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the Hemi have issues? ie “tick”

njt07

Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a 2022 F150 Platinum or 1500 Limited next Aug/Sep depending on release. Now with that out of the way.

One of the recurring reasons people on a ford forum I’m on say not to get a Ram is, the Hemi tick, Hemi being underpowered, and something about the heads getting deformed (?).
Two questions from this. Is the Hemi Old and underpowered with a propensity to develop a tick? from what I have read here, if you use at least mid grade fuel (89) then it shouldnt...

Second question, if it is underpowered would that be the cause of the low fuel MPG? ie people unconsciously flooring it a lot more to get more oomph?

btw im heavily leaning toward the Ram Limited, not only cause its significantly cheaper than a F150 Limited, but also the ones I test drove were very nice.

Maccam26

Reaction score
Did you find it underpowered when you test drove it? I have 3.92 and I’d say it moves just fine for a truck. And yes, it’s the best riding truck I’ve ever driven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It will feel a little underpowered compared to the 2.7L & 3.5L Ecoboost because those trucks have their peak torque at under 3,000 rpms. The 5.7L produces it's peak torque at about 4,000 rpms.

Also, the drive by wire on the F150 is geared towards more performance where the RAM is more torwards mpg. It's almost like the F150, in sports mode setting has it's own peddle commander. Easy fix for the RAM, you can just install a peddle commander.

I loved my 2015 F150, it was fast for sure, but I love my RAM more, even though it's definitely slower than my 2.7L, it' sounds much better and rides better. Not sure if the all new F150 will even match the interior of the current RAM. There is a sense of occasion driving the RAM I didn't get with my F150, the sound of the V8 is something you can't get with a six banger. It honestly feels like driving an Accord in comparison, though a really fast one.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a slippery slope when using opinions from an online forum to make a big dollar decision. Go for 10 test drives if you have to, but don't let a complete stranger on the internet convince you of what to buy. Underpowered and hemi tick, if I had a dollar every time I heard a Ford guy say that, I'd still drive a Ram because it gives me a grin every time I push the start button... the Fords didn't. That's how I spend my hard earned money.

Every manufacturer has its highs and lows. That's about the only truth in vehicle shopping. You have to let your foot, your a$$ and your ears do the deciding for you.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy!

silver billet

Reaction score
It is not underpowered in the slightest. It's completely effortless, my truck can spend weeks living under 2000 rpms, never rising above that, even to get onto freeways.

Some do develop a ticking issue, most often this is warped manifolds (so two of those issues is the same one; manifolds warp, snapping the bolts, so exhaust noise becomes louder like a tick). There is a lifter tick issue too, not caused by warped manifolds. A work around for this (if caught early) is to use a better oil such as Redline 5w-30 combined with a premium oil filter (like wix or royal purple).

It is still considered by most people to be a very reliable engine, mostly bullet proof. It did see duty in the 2500 lineup as well, so it's not exactly a weak engine. Notice how Ford does not put their turbos in their "real" trucks (F250's), eh? Instead, they spent who knows how much developing a more reliable workhorse, a N/A big block 7.3. Even Ford does not put turbos in their trucks that work hard.

Don't judge a truck solely by it's engine. Every truck is a compromise in one area or another. The GM's actually have the best powertrains available at the moment (IMHO): 6.2 liter with 10 speed, or the 3.0 liter diesel with a 10 speed. It also looks stunning on the outside. The rest of the truck is quite ordinary in my opinion. The Ford doesn't have much going for at this point, it's old and beyond stale, I feel I've seen these trucks on the road way back in 2010 and nothing has changed since then. The only advantage of the Ford is that they are "quick", but I don't trust an engine that is stressed as much as those turbos are under. The 5.7 might take a second longer to reach 60 mph, but it will probably outlive the turbos if you are working your truck.

Getting back to compromise in a truck: The Ram has the best overall compromise. A generally solid engine (though the GM 6.2 still makes me jealous), a very solid and silky smooth 8 speed transmission, the best ride of any truck, the best/most luxurious interior of any truck by far, very competitive tech and features, and probably will still be cheaper than the other trucks. The GMC I wanted was at least $10,000 CAD more, for the "same truck".

If the only thing that interests you is 0 to 60, buy a Ford or the 6.2 Chevy. Otherwise as has already been suggested, definitely test drive one. "Underpowered" is not a word any sane person would use to describe these trucks, unless you are a brand fanboy and want to diss it for some reason. No it's not the fastest, but I doubt you would notice unless you get out your stopwatch.

The 5.0 coyote engine is currently having it's own issues as well, so if you want a V8 Ford, be wary and do your research.

nburd

Reaction score
I was shopping for an 18 or 19 expedition EL before my Ram. I test drove 3 with under 30k miles and all with the 3.5 Ecoboost (Latest gen). 2 out of the three ticked on start up. one, the tick never went away. 1 was silent. My 2008 300 Hemi with 144k never ticked. I think it’s all about care and maintenance.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Are the Ford F150's V8 5.0's still experiencing oil consumption issues? and engines being replaced due to this?

TX_Phil

Reaction score
Some good opinions in the posts above. I would only add, think about what you want \ need. Are you getting a truck to do work or as a family vehicle or a hotrod? All are valid reasons, just be sure you are honest with yourself as to what you want.

Before my 2019 ram I had a Chevy 1500 Z71 4x4 crew with 5.3. It did very well off road after the pro comp lift and 33" tires but it was a dog on the road even with 3.73 gears. By comparison this ram 1500 4x4 crew with 3.92 gears is a rocket ship and still gets 18 mpg average where the Chevy was lucky to see 13 mpg on the same roads.

Buy what you like but be sure it does the job you need it to do.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Reaction score
Almost 400 hp and over 400 ft lbs of torque is enough for me, I see the TCS light all the time

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I work my Limited fairly hard at times pulling a #9000 fifth wheel, and a #7000 dump trailer, and never considered it underpowered. And that said, after having a 2005 duramax. So my advise is to take all opinions foe what you pay for them. $0.00.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I'll take a (very) slightly slower 0-60 time in exchange for that sweet V8 sound every single time. The Fords (except for the 5.0) all sound like honda's and are even worse if you try to modify the exhaust.

V8 > V6 no matter what the brand is IMO.

njt07

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. Since I'm still a bit away from actually purchasing my truck I‘m going a bit overboard trying to see what the general issues are with these two trucks. The main reason I’m holding off till next Aug/Sep is cause I want to see what general issues the F150 is going to have and see what the reviews generally say.

I’m an analyst at heart and want to see what the trends are. The Ram I feel like I know fairly well by now with all the research I’ve done, but when you see the threads about the Hemi a few times then it becomes a research point.

btw its gonna be my daily driver (10+ miles), family hauler and (light) camper hauler. Light off road for camping and hiking. Yard maintenance hauler for dirt, fertilizer, mulch, wood for the shop etc.

Zig10

Reaction score
I have an '18 Expedition Max Limited with the 3.5 EB and my 2020 Ram limited, both of which I use to tow a 7500 lb boat around. The EB torque hits lower and definitely pulls harder off the line. That said, the Hemi does just fine, and above 15 mph it's pretty much a dead tie. The gas mileage towing is within 0.2 MPG, with the Hemi coming out ahead in most cases. The air suspension on the Ram stomps the Ford suspension for stability. Ride comfort goes to the Ram as well.

They're both great trucks and I don't think you'll go wrong with either, but if you drive them back to back the Ram will show it's benefits.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a 2022 F150 Platinum or 1500 Limited next Aug/Sep depending on release. Now with that out of the way.

One of the recurring reasons people on a ford forum I’m on say not to get a Ram is, the Hemi tick, Hemi being underpowered, and something about the heads getting deformed (?).
Two questions from this. Is the Hemi Old and underpowered with a propensity to develop a tick? from what I have read here, if you use at least mid grade fuel (89) then it shouldnt...

Second question, if it is underpowered would that be the cause of the low fuel MPG? ie people unconsciously flooring it a lot more to get more oomph?

btw im heavily leaning toward the Ram Limited, not only cause its significantly cheaper than a F150 Limited, but also the ones I test drove were very nice.
I like Ford...mainly their V8 though. But I already smoked a 2.7 Ecoboost with my Hemi Etorque (by one and a half truck length) so I couldn't care less what they say. The Hemi does not feel under powered to me...although It might feel like that compared to a 3.5 Ecoboost. Every truck has its trade-offs. I liked my f150 V8....but I like my Ram more though.
As for the tick...only if you keep using low grade gas and crap engine oil. Personally...never known anyone to get cracked or warped heads so I cant say much about that.

njt07

Reaction score
I tend to keep my vehicles 8-10 years so I am concerned with long-ish term durability (100-150k miles). I’m in Texas so I dont need to really worry about rusting out. I plan on getting an extended warranty, but having to take a vehicle for service means I have to burn up PTO or waste off time.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.7L HEMI has been the backbone of the 1500 for a long time now. Had the HEMI in my ‘08, ‘17, and now ‘20. The 2008 had almost 100,000 miles on it when it was totaled and I had to get the 2017. I took great care of that engine, sticking to the maintenance schedules, etc. and I’m confident that truck would still be running strong to this day if I still had it.

I had almost 50,000 miles on the 2017 when I upgraded to the 2020, and again, no issues whatsoever with it.

Moral of the story, take care of the truck, it’ll take care of you. Not to say that a bad apple cant sneak in every now and then (goes for any manufacturer), but the HEMI is a very reliable engine.

Maybe stay away from the HEMI with the Etorque. Most owners haven’t had issues, but there have been a handful that have had issues with the Etorque system (not the HEMI).

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having owned several Tundras, a F150 with the 3.5 Eco and two 5th gen Rams id say power wise they are all about equal. The 10 spd was nice in the F150 and I think that’s why it edged out the Ram a bit in MPG, the Tundras were the worst because of the 6spd tranny but they all pulled heavy loads about the same.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hell yes it's underpowered...

Compared to an F-22 Raptor, that is :ROFLMAO:

Come on, man - you're going to be hauling a light camper, dirt, mulch, and fertilizer. Hell, my Kia could pull any of that in a trailer. If you said you were going to be pulling a 16k pound trackhoe or something all day long, I'd probably go along with it. But you're just doing normal everyday **** with it like most people, and there's pretty much not a vehicle out there that couldn't do that.

popcenator

Reaction score
I keep up with a lot of vehicles daily on the street, the Hemi is far from underpowered. As far as the tick goes, I had my 2012 up to 100K miles and the engine ran as smooth as could be, the tick was there on cold startups occasionally but went away within 30 seconds. I'm not easy on my vehicles, and I have no worries about the Hemis, I also stay on top of maintenance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jako

Reaction score
It's all relative, my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT V8 is 230 hp, my 2019 Ram Hemi is 395 hp. All happy now and back in 2001.

Users who are viewing this thread