5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does RAM use break in oil?

gfh77665

Reaction score
I am a first time poster here, having just bought a brand new 2019 RAM Classic. I am aware of the break in procedure in the owners manual. My question is, does a new RAM have a break in oil from the factory? I ask because I am at about 600 miles now, and I am considering dumping the factory fill to get rid of any metal break in particles in the oil. If it has a special break in oil though, I will leave it in for 5K. Its a 3.6L Pentastar. Thanks.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don’t believe there is a specially formulated or differing break in lubricant used by FCA, however I’m not privy to their manufacturing process. Whatever the factory has contracted for in its bazillion motors.
Maybe Speedy or someone will know what brand and type they use.
You will be fine either way, an early change for those supposed metal particles (very common in motors pre-1980’s) or waiting till 3K or so.
I’m sure some wait until 5K or just follow their oil life indicators. Me, I will do a 2500-3K change just cause.

Just search for threads entitled “oil change” or “1st oil change” or close wording. You’ll not only get recommendations all over the map from 300-500 miles to eliminate all the sand casting residue to “just change at 5K, as well as everyones pet oil brand/weight/semi-synthetic vs full synthetic preference. There’s probably no topic that has more differing opinions than oils, except maybe for choice of rear gearing.

You could resort to, say, the manual of all things. Somewhere around pages 299-300.
Oh and congrats on your new truck. Throw a picture up of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

silver billet

Reaction score
I don't know either, but I plan to do an early oil change. If you intend to keep the truck a long time, it doesn't hurt to change the oil early the first time except a bit of money for oil, but that is pocket change compared to what you just dropped on the truck itself.

gfh77665

Reaction score
I don’t believe there is a specially formulated or differing break in lubricant used by FCA, however I’m not privy to their manufacturing process. Whatever the factory has contracted for in its bazillion motors.
Maybe Speedy or someone will know what brand and type they use.
You will be fine either way, an early change for those supposed metal particles (very common in motors pre-1980’s) or waiting till 3K or so.
I’m sure some wait until 5K or just follow their oil life indicators. Me, I will do a 2500-3K change just cause.

Just search for threads entitled “oil change” or “1st oil change” or close wording. You’ll not only get recommendations all over the map from 300-500 miles to eliminate all the sand casting residue to “just change at 5K, as well as everyones pet oil brand/weight/semi-synthetic vs full synthetic preference. There’s probably no topic that has more differing opinions than oils, except maybe for choice of rear gearing.

You could resort to, say, the manual of all things. Somewhere around pages 299-300.
Oh and congrats on your new truck. Throw a picture up of it.

Thanks. I Looked though the owners manual, but saw no mention of a special break in oil. (BTW my Honda Odyssey DID have some, it was loaded with Moly). I would love to post a pic, but not sure how. I can tell you its a 1500 Classic extra cab, in deep jewel tone Delmonico Red paint with bright accents and allow wheels. My local RAM dealer made me a HECK OF A DEAL on it! I love my truck so far!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I Looked though the owners manual, but saw no mention of a special break in oil. (BTW my Honda Odyssey DID have some, it was loaded with Moly). I would love to post a pic, but not sure how. I can tell you its a 1500 Classic extra cab, in deep jewel tone Delmonico Red paint with bright accents and allow wheels. My local RAM dealer made me a HECK OF A DEAL on it! I love my truck so far!
From a post on another website (Ramforumz) sharing a screenshot of a Pennzoil web page from 2016:

“Ferrari North America recommends Pennzoil Platinum® Euro full synthetic motor oil...Challenger SRT® Hellcat is factory filled with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™...Unleaded fuel 3.6L and 5.7L RAM engines come factory filled with Pennzoil® 5W-20 conventional motor oil.

KcRay

Reaction score
Oil filters catch any particulates and if the factory used break in oil that needed changed early, they would tell you so. I would hope!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well evidently some makers did or still do but not your Pentstar or Hemi equipped RAM’s, so no issues with waiting till 3K on your 1st oil change. If you want to do it early (say a service special or perhaps you had a deal for x many free changes when you bought) then go on in early, can’t hurt and perhaps you will get some needed TSB’s or reflashes done.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hasn't the whole 3k mile oil change been put to bed as a myth? The owner's manual says 10k.
It wasnt a myth years ago, the advent of superior oils has pushed the interval out, however unless you are cash strapped or very concerned about using up “precious oil resources”, you’ve got to ask yourself if fresher oil is better or not for the motor.
Coming from Phoenix where dust and extreme heat were a daily factor, the “severe” usage schedule was the wiser one to take.
Change it whenever you want, but oil is the engines lifeblood.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I don't know either, but I plan to do an early oil change. If you intend to keep the truck a long time, it doesn't hurt to change the oil early the first time except a bit of money for oil, but that is pocket change compared to what you just dropped on the truck itself.
The dealer stated they honor engines that require 6 qts for the same price (2 for $50) , so all the 5 qt motors are subsidizing me... that’s not what their fine print in the special says so we will see (over 5 qts is extra).

Users who are viewing this thread