5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does one need to 'unlock' the truck computer to change things via tools like AlphOBD?

JimKIII

Reaction score
I read in a thread on another forum that what sucks about Dodge (or Chrysler?) is they lock the computer so one can't change anything.

But I've also read posts on this forum where folks are using tools like AlphaOBD to change certain parameters in the computer.

Some questions:
1. If the computer is locked, how does one bypass/unlock it in order to make changes with tools that can do that?
2. If changes are made does that invalidate warranty?
3. Is there a source that gives all the computer parameters that are changeable in a specific truck model?

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I read in a thread on another forum that what sucks about Dodge (or Chrysler?) is they lock the computer so one can't change anything.

But I've also read posts on this forum where folks are using tools like AlphaOBD to change certain parameters in the computer.

Some questions:
1. If the computer is locked, how does one bypass/unlock it in order to make changes with tools that can do that?
2. If changes are made does that invalidate warranty?
3. Is there a source that gives all the computer parameters that are changeable in a specific truck model?
Unlock to use alfaobd/Tazer = no (you do need a cheap SCG bypass)

Unlock for custom tune = yes

Exception for tune is the edge pulsar, it's a piggyback system that changes performance parameters before they enter the pcm. But no custom tunes for that.

Look up the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act for your warranty question.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread