5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does muffler replacement void any warranty?

RAMEN

Reaction score
Today I received MBRP muffler replacement and asked the dealership that sold me the truck if they can install it - they said they don’t do that and that the replacement would void the warranty, didn’t know which one and told me to call FCA.

Can anyone confirm if any of the upgrades that we do(muffler, lights, and so on) could potentially void any warranties?

The dealer did suggest I reach out to local muffler experts shop to do the install and these guys told me they never heard of such issues(warranties being voided by a muffler replacement)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mamba

Reaction score
Today I received MBRP muffler replacement and asked the dealership that sold me the truck if they can install it - they said they don’t do that and that the replacement would void the warranty, didn’t know which one and told me to call FCA.

Can anyone confirm if any of the upgrades that we do(muffler, lights, and so on) could potentially void any warranties?

The dealer did suggest I reach out to local muffler experts shop to do the install and these guys told me they never heard of such issues(warranties being voided by a muffler replacement)

I spoke with Mopar extended warranty sales rep and asked if changing the exhaust will void the warranty. She said no because it’ll be considered a “wear and tear” item.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nope, I spoke with my service manager just in case before I installed mine. They can't simply void warranties because of aftermarket parts unless they prove that part caused the failure.

However, any part you change obviously isn't covered. He did recommend welding the new muffler instead of direct-fit bolt-ons which can come loose over time and avoid welding anything to the cat in case it needs to be replaced under warranty by them. The cat has a long warranty apparently.

The dealerships typically won't install non-Mopar parts, though some do. I recommend taking it to a good muffler shop, should be about $100 or so to cut the old one and weld in the new one. My aftermarket muffler is the best thing I did for my RAM.

Last edited:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with SD Rebel. My Borla was $90ish and the muffler shop charged me $55 to cut out the old one and weld in my new one. Cost to enjoyment ratio is very high.

STR

Reaction score
Short answer, no. It “could” void the warranty on the exhaust, or any component that was directly affected, but otherwise the warranty will remain valid. Example, if an OEM muffler clamp broke, it “might” not be covered. If your struts, transmission, radio, AC, rear slider, power seats, etc., would fail, then those items would be covered as they were not directly affected by the muffler. For further information read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is the federal law that governs consumer product warranties.

BTW, I have installed exhaust systems on almost all of my vehicles, including the Borla S-Type on my ‘20 Ram, and I’ve never had any issues with a warranty.

RAMEN

Reaction score
Nope, I spoke with my service manager just in case before I installed mine. They can't simply void warranties because of aftermarket parts unless they prove that part caused the failure.

However, any part you change obviously isn't covered. He did recommend welding the new muffler instead of direct-fit bolt-ons which can come loose over time and avoid welding anything to the cat in case it needs to be replaced under warranty by them. The cat has a long warranty apparently.

The dealerships typically won't install non-Mopar parts, though some do. I recommend taking it to a good muffler shop, should be about $100 or so to cut the old one and weld in the new one. My aftermarket muffler is the best thing I did for my RAM.

Thanks, I will ask the hot rod shop to weld it in

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks, I will ask the hot rod shop to weld it in

Make sure you like it first...

A lot easier to swap back to stock with a bolt-on if you change your mind.
That's what I did. After a few months of having my B2 Magnaflow, I just could not deal with the "thunk" every time MDS kicked int, so put my stock muffler that I kept back, in and sold the MF.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you like it first...

A lot easier to swap back to stock with a bolt-on if you change your mind.
That's what I did. After a few months of having my B2 Magnaflow, I just could not deal with the "thunk" every time MDS kicked int, so put my stock muffler that I kept back, in and sold the MF.
Ah, that is an excellent point since I know someone who installed an aftermarket and had to go back to stock. Those stock mufflers are very expensive!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038492 miles.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
they said they don’t do that and that the replacement would void the warranty, didn’t know which one and told me to call FCA.

That alone would make me stay away from that $tealership's service department. They tell you it'd void the warranty, and when you ask them which part of the warranty, they don't know? Ridiculous.

If they're going to tell me that flat of a statement, they'd better be able to back it up with at least a few details, not try to dump me on someone else after trying to B.S. me.

As others said, other than maybe void warranty on the exhaust system, it shouldn't affect anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread