5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone use fuel system cleaner in their Ram?

RAL

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (5.7 etorque) with about 33k miles. Truck has been very reliable. I am generally of the "if ain't broke don't fix it" mindset but I am wondering if people recommend any fuel system conditions such as Techron, Seafoam, BGK, etc. I have not experienced any problems other than a time several months ago when I started the truck when it was cold, put it into drive almost immediately, and it stalled. It restarted no problem, but that is really the only oddity I have experienced in three plus years of ownership. Thanks for your input.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (5.7 etorque) with about 33k miles. Truck has been very reliable. I am generally of the "if ain't broke don't fix it" mindset but I am wondering if people recommend any fuel system conditions such as Techron, Seafoam, BGK, etc. I have not experienced any problems other than a time several months ago when I started the truck when it was cold, put it into drive almost immediately, and it stalled. It restarted no problem, but that is really the only oddity I have experienced in three plus years of ownership. Thanks for your input.
I use the Lucas Oil stuff in the small bottle every few months in all my vehicles.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
No. I only buy Tier One gas, that they're not ashamed to put their name on, so I don't think there will ever be any dirty injectors that need additional cleaning.

That said, I have cleaned the throttle body. Some carb spray, an old toothbrush, and a rag is all that's needed. Don't hose down the throttle plate; you run the risk of spray getting past the shaft and messing with the TPS and/or throttle motor. Just wet the toothbrush and scrub, then wet the rag and wipe it all clean.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Only if you get contaminated fuel. Really don't see the point in these trucks to run any additives or cleaners especially since the 5th gens are still so new.
Maybe 10 years from now when you are at 150k mille maybe...

RAL

Reaction score
Almost always use top tier (Shell) so I guess it is a non issue. Thanks all.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Almost always use top tier (Shell) so I guess it is a non issue. Thanks all.
You should switch fuel brands every now and then. They all use different detergent packages, so offered different cleaning. By varying the brand of fuel you use you get the different cleaning benefits they each offer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You should switch fuel brands every now and then. They all use different detergent packages, so offered different cleaning. By varying the brand of fuel you use you get the different cleaning benefits they each offer.
I get my gas 99% of the time at BJ's, so who knows what brand of fuel I get LOL.

Triman11427

Reaction score
I’ve used it in my BMW motorcycle with 20K and noticed a change in how it runs. Figured it wouldn’t hurt to add a bottle in a full tank in my Laramie. Can’t say I noticed a dramatic change in anything.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've added Techron and I also tried Lubegard fuel treatment. More of a just in case sort of thing. So twice in 66K.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I put few gallons of pretty stale fuel from my generator in the truck.
Did not like that at all, rough cold starts and random misfire.
Took running two tanks with Lucas and Stabil to rectify that screw-up...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I put few gallons of pretty stale fuel from my generator in the truck.
Did not like that at all, rough cold starts and random misfire.
Took running two tanks with Lucas and Stabil to rectify that screw-up...
How old is pretty stale?
I just threw in 5 gallons of 3 year old gas in my Acadia and it didn't care.
I always forget to put stable in it.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How old is pretty stale?
I just threw in 5 gallons of 3 year old gas in my Acadia and it didn't care.
I always forget to put stable in it.
It was old enough that I don`t remember when I bought it, the odor and color were off, that should have glued me in.
It was treated with stabil when I bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread