5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone carry a jumpstart pack?

country4life

Reaction score
Hi I’m wondering what’s a good jump start pack to carry with me as I’m doing some travelling and in some areas there isn’t phone service and these trucks have a lot of electronics to power so in case of a dead battery I’m looking for a good jump starter to keep in the truck in case
Of a dead battery

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi I’m wondering what’s a good jump start pack to carry with me as I’m doing some travelling and in some areas there isn’t phone service and these trucks have a lot of electronics to power so in case of a dead battery I’m looking for a good jump starter to keep in the truck in case
Of a dead battery
I have this. have not used it to jump truck yet.
It stays charged for a year if no use.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I carry a Noco unit in one of the rear floor bins. Has helped jump others in a few situations. The old fashion jump boxes/cables are bulky so i stopped carrying those. Noco unit is out of sight out of mind until you need it. I randomly pull it out every few months to give it quick re-up charge.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Purchased this for $130 on a Black Friday deal.
Antigravity Batteries XP-10 Micro-Start Multi-Function Jump Starter/Power Supply Kit
Has additional adapters and such. Like the flashlight / flashing light in an emergency.

SMART Jumper Clamp Features:
These clamps may be miniature in size but they are safe & reliable with smart features. They have a temperature sensor and multiple important protections built-in. These safety features help prevent over-heating and unsafe connections. The XP-10 jumper clamps offer full protection from over-charge, over-discharge, reverse polarity connections, anti-spark, and no-spark on low-voltage batteries.

For those with CRS and CRAFT (aka old age mental decline),
The XP-10 is equipped with SMART CLAMPS that have built-in protections to prevent accidental reverse-polarity connections and more. But caution should always be used when Jump Starting.

READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL SAFETY INFORMATION BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN ELECTRICAL SHOCK, EXPLOSION, FIRE, WHICH MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY, DEATH OR PROPERTY DAMAGE.
Do not leave the product in or expose product to extremely high temperatures such as direct hot sunlight, or on dashboards or other extremely hot areas above 110°F (43°C). Swelling may occur. Stop use of product if this occurs and contact manufacturer.
Do not use product for any use other than intended.
Do not use Jump-Start Port to power devices, it is ONLY for Jump-Starting.
Do not Jump-Start with less than 3 lights lit on Capacity Indicator.
Do not Jump-Start more than 5 seconds per attempt (overheating may occur).
Do not Jump-Start more than 3 attempts in a row without allowing to cool.
Do not allow the XP-10 to become wet; do not immerse in water.
Do not operate the XP-10 in explosive atmospheres, such as in the presence of flammable liquids, gases or dust.
Do not modify or disassemble; there are no serviceable parts inside.
Do not use as a replacement battery for vehicles.
Do not leave the XP-10 connected to vehicle. Remove within 40 seconds of starting vehicle.
Do not clamp the Red and Black Clamps together.
Do not allow Children to play with this product unsupervised. Not recommended for use by infirm persons.
Do not leave battery products unattended while charging.
Do not charge frozen batteries; charge only between 34°F and 104°F (1°C and 40°C).
Do not subject to heat higher than 120°F (50°C) or swelling of pack could result. Discontinue use if swelling occurs.
Do not store in locations where the temperature may exceed 110°F (43°C).

OPERATING TEMP: -22°F to 120°F
CHARGING TEMP: 34° to 104°F

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased on a couple months ago to keep in the truck, good piece of mind.

hogger

Reaction score
I just bought (and returned) the Schumacher SPR1631. Advertised as 18-20AH capacity battery (web page listing, and runtime calculation from data provided in the manual). Opened it up after feeling it's too light and sure enough. Only 12AH battery loaded with foam blocks in a 20AH battery compartment slot. They're on my $#!+ list.
For years I carried a Powerline PS-2000 from Costco way back in the day. Recently got too rickety and the compressor gave out after 15+ years in the trunk. Used it numerous times to jumpstart my sedan and others. Once used it to help jump start a truck (don't remember what it was) that the tiny rescue pickup couldn't seem to jump alone. Can't find them anymore.
I refuse to carry a Li based one because here in southern california it gets wayyy to hot inside the vehicle to have a big Li battery around. The reason I consider E-Torque a safety hazard.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have one of the new style lithium models, barely larger than two decks of cards, with enough juice to start up an 8L diesel.

What's also good is they have connections for emergency charging my cellphone or whatever when I'm out in the field, even has an LED flashlight.

Highly recommend you carry one of these, they are affordable, light weight, compact and pack a punch. Not like the giant 12V stuff I carried in the past.

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score

2001gw

Reaction score
When these first came out I bought this one: XP-1 MICRO-START Jump-Starter

At the time I had a 2003 F-150 with a 4.6 V8. When I got home, I disconnected both battery terminals and hooked the Antigravity jump starter to the battery cables (which were disconnected from the truck battery) and got in the truck and turned the key. The truck started right up just like it had a fully charged battery! I stopped and re-started the engine 4 or 5 times and it still started right up!

I've always carried one ever since and while I have never had to use it for me, I have helped a couple of people with dead batteries get going again.

PS: I have no affiliation with this product, I just a satisfied customer. (y)

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I carry a Noco unit in one of the rear floor bins. Has helped jump others in a few situations. The old fashion jump boxes/cables are bulky so i stopped carrying those. Noco unit is out of sight out of mind until you need it. I randomly pull it out every few months to give it quick re-up charge.
Ditto. Got the GB 40 on BF for $70

cliffsta

Reaction score
I was gifted a WeeGo JS6 several years ago. It’s worked fantastic for numerous times jumping friends and family, and my motorcycle batteries.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I carry both a Li jump pack and standard jumper cables. My junker cables fit inside one of the floor bins and they aren't cheap small awg cables. The jump pack sits under the rear seat in it's case because other floor bin has a survival kit and first aid kit in it

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of a dead battery
I use a Noco GB70 (12V, 2000 A), it works well and holds a charge for a good long time before needing to be recharged. I bought that one because that's what the towing company used to jump my 1500 several months ago. It seems to be a nicely built unit. I recommend popping a few extra bucks for a decent case for it. Also, a decent-wattage wall charger, maybe something like an Anker 65 W USB charger, so it charges faster when it does need charging.
At the same time I bought the jump-starter I also bought a Noco Genius 10, which is a combination 10-amp battery charger + battery maintainer/conditioner. It was recommended to me by the Ram tech at the dealer who checked out my truck's electrical system when the battery died several months ago. I sometimes go 2-3 weeks between starting my Ram EcoDiesel, and having it hooked to the Noco Genius gives me a lot of peace-of-mind, and I haven't had any trouble at all since I started leaving it on the Noco Genius between uses. They also have settings for a variety of battery types, whereas the old-fashioned trickle-chargers usually can only be used on plain old lead-acid batteries with liquid electrolyte. These new types can be used on conventional 12V lead-acid, or 12V AGM, or 12V lithium, or 6V lead-acid.
Noco also makes smaller Genius battery maintainer/conditioners, down to 2 A, which can be mounted under the hood and instead of clamps to attach to the battery, they provide ring terminals so one can permanently hook it to the battery cables. Those small ones aren't meant to recharge a dead battery, they're meant to only maintain charge on a fully-charged battery and perform the conditioning profiles as necessary to ensure that the battery stays as healthy as possible. I put one of the 2A version under the hood of the wife's Mini Cooper, it does a great job for that car. Minis are notorious for parasitic electrical loss and running batteries down way too quickly, and her Mini had been through a few (very expensive) batteries, hence the permanent underhood-mounted Noco Genius 2 battery maintainer/conditioner. Zero problems, even when it sits for a full month between uses (she works from home, not much need to drive, and we use the Prius for our town-errands vehicle).
Putting a traditional battery charger in trickle-charge mode is NOT the same as using these new electronic battery maintainers/conditioners. Having a battery on an old-fashioned trickle charger tends to degrade battery life, sometimes even cause damage to the battery, whereas these new electronic maintainers/conditioners have special profiles they automatically cycle through in order to (a) not boil out the electrolyte, and (b) knock off the oxides that tend to build up on the plates inside the battery and reduce its life.
I know there are several decent brands of jump-starters and battery-maintainers, and I'm not saying anything bad about any of the others, but my personal recommendation is Noco.

hogger

Reaction score
I just used some Home Depot cash and picked one of these up on a Black Friday deal.

I was originally going to get that one, but went with the schumacher for the cigarette plug. I like to run accessories off the pack at the camp table sometimes. Can you tell what sized battery is the Dewalt?

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted an all in one solution and though it's bigger than I really wanted I have found it handy for lots of things, even inflating the toys for the boat rather quickly. My fear is the same as your...being out hunting or whatever, without cellular coverage and finding a dead battery. This thing stores a BUNCH of energy and I easily keep it charged right in the cab.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Similar to others, I've got NOCO GB70 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016UG6PWE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It holds down to ~75% after a year.

(I also installed a NOCO Genius 2A battery maintainer, hard mounted, in my truck. I tied it together with my block heater. They both get power from an outlet I installed under the bumper. If I run an extension cord and plug in, both systems get power. I figured if it's cold enough to plug the truck in over night, I may as well make sure the battery is getting juice, too.)

Users who are viewing this thread