5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone actually pay for UConnect?

U

User_3336

I called last week since my 2020 1500 Limited is now almost 1 year old. I asked about any promotions and they had a $60 for 6 months offer that I picked up for the top tier service package. Not a bad price. Before it expires in June, I call again and see what they have at that time.
They will send you that offer in the mail sooner or later. Not bad, but passed on it.

Rupp

Reaction score
What does it really offer? The only thing I've used on it is remote start and I can do that with the remote control from the house. I will miss XM but I can then switch back to using my phone.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I didn’t have a choice when my Ram was in Hawaii, no satellite coverage. Having been a Sirius/XM fan for decades I was fine with out it. Now I simply stream SiriusXM from my phone via Bluetooth. But nothing in the guardian package justifies the cost, period.

Side note; why do people pay for the built in hotspot? My phone does just fine with unlimited data. Am I missing something? The only thing I’m confused on is if UConnect updates require the hotspot to be active.

Rexx

Reaction score
I’ve had it for 10 months now (free year) and I think I’ve used it twice. First time it started the truck no issues. Second time it wouldn’t start the truck for whatever reason and I haven’t used it since.

I certainly won’t be paying for it once my year is up.

RJS

Reaction score
I didn’t have a choice when my Ram was in Hawaii, no satellite coverage. Having been a Sirius/XM fan for decades I was fine with out it. Now I simply stream SiriusXM from my phone via Bluetooth. But nothing in the guardian package justifies the cost, period.

Side note; why do people pay for the built in hotspot? My phone does just fine with unlimited data. Am I missing something? The only thing I’m confused on is if UConnect updates require the hotspot to be active.
The hotspot doesn't require Uconnect to be updated. As far as paying for the hotspot, If your unlimited plan is under $35/mo then it beats my combination of $15/mo 3g phone and $200/yr hotspot. My wife and I don't use much data unless we are in the truck, traveling or home where the phones use wifi so it's much more economical for us to use the hotspot and cheap phone plans. If folks use a lot of data everywhere then unlimited plans are the better choice. Right now Mint Mobile is offering a 3g plan for 6 months for $45 total, under $8/mo ($15/mo afterwards) so I can take advantage of these plans for my wife and I. But I'm old so it works for me.
Still not paying for Uconnect under any circumstances now that my free year is expired.

U

User_3336

The hotspot doesn't require Uconnect to be updated. As far as paying for the hotspot, If your unlimited plan is under $35/mo then it beats my combination of $15/mo 3g phone and $200/yr hotspot. My wife and I don't use much data unless we are in the truck, traveling or home where the phones use wifi so it's much more economical for us to use the hotspot and cheap phone plans. If folks use a lot of data everywhere then unlimited plans are the better choice. Right now Mint Mobile is offering a 3g plan for 6 months for $45 total, under $8/mo ($15/mo afterwards) so I can take advantage of these plans for my wife and I. But I'm old so it works for me.
Still not paying for Uconnect under any circumstances now that my free year is expired.
AT&T was offering the unlimited plan on the hotspot $20 a month. And correct, the hotspot does not require an active subscription to Uconnect/Guardian

jfcody3962

Reaction score
I like having the remote start (via phone app) in the winter. Yes the key fob works if you are close to the truck, and can see if it actually worked. The app is nice because of the validation that the truck actually started. My 1 year trial just ended, however I was not pleased about spending 250.00 per year for this feature. Thanks to this thread, I'll be calling and asking for the 6 mos for $60. Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread