5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anybody have their tires filled with Nitrogen

DonJr

Reaction score
Does anybody use Nitrogen in their tires, does it do any thing for fuel economy, increase tire life and help maintain tire pressure.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I kept nitrogen only in tires for almost 2 years. No plus or minus for me. Now I'm fine with 78% nitrogen in the tires. I'd never pay for nitrogen. The dealership I used back a while ago did it for free.

Lize

Reaction score
As the post above the dealer puts Nitrogen in my car tyres (not the Ram), its supposed to maintain tyre pressure more evenly.

As it happens I watched this video about it the other day:

In the car with low profile 20" rims my tyres will typically increase pressure from starting 29PSI to around 34PSI under stress. In my other similar car with 20s and air I don't see any greater percentage change, the only real difference is that they start at a higher pressure.

Also with the nitrogen they always need topping up in winter at 32F they reduce to 26 PSI at cold start and when the weather warms up they never need any letting out.

So I don't really think its worth the bother.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had nitrogen in my Corvette tires from the factory. Used regular air every time I topped them off after that. Couldn’t be bothered to take it somewhere and be charged to refill with nitrogen. Maybe if you’re a serious racer you would see a difference. After all, air is 78% nitrogen anyway.

YawnY

Reaction score
Nitrogen in tires is just a money grab. We breathe in 70% nitrogen, and it won't make a difference in your tires. It won't prevent leaks from larger molecules, it still will fluctuate with temperature. Plus the nitrogen machines at most shops are rarely serviced. It's just an easy cash grab with fancy green valve stem caps.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nitrogen in tires is just a money grab. We breathe in 70% nitrogen, and it won't make a difference in your tires. It won't prevent leaks from larger molecules, it still will fluctuate with temperature. Plus the nitrogen machines at most shops are rarely serviced. It's just an easy cash grab with fancy green valve stem caps.
It's free to fill with nitrogen at Costco, but I've let my membership lapse (relying on the in-laws for Costco purchases these days). So...I top off with my compressor at the house most of the time.

James1414d

Reaction score
Rip off that's aimed at lazy people, who would rather not be bothered to check their tires regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/