5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does and "Air Filter" makes a difference?

Nazbill

Reaction score
This excites me because I’ve got an s&b cold air intake in its way! Can’t wait to let her breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nazbill

Reaction score
Computer adjusts for incoming air by adding more fuel, in turn increasing horsepower not a waste of money feeding your engine more air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
They do very little -- computer adjusts for incoming air. Waste of money!
In day-to-day driving that is true. This is testing things at wide-open throttle, where the computer pretty much ignores everything but the airflow. More air in means more fuel added which means more power.

That said, I agree with you about waste of money. Most of us don't drive WOT.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although I think this "test" was done rather fairly, there would be test engineers that would question viability because of potential driver influences in the acceleration evaluation. That aside, there are other web tests that appear to demonstrate a contradiction on the dyno test with the so called "high performance" filter types. One in particular is the video of dyno testing on a Mustang using the familiarly advertised "high performance" air filter of the type that requires an oil penetrant. In that test they actually realized lower HP and torque numbers in the low and midrange RPMs.

The big (in my opinion) question that remains is how efficient are the comparison filters in reducing unwanted foreign particles from entering the engine, and what are the effects on fuel consumption. The auto industry standard for air filtration is 2 microns. Over time I do not believe that high performance air filters that require oiling maintain the same level of filtration due to progressive oil loss, much less when freshly installed.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024505 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread