5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does active noise cancellation still work after installing a louder exhaust?

PedalMonk

Reaction score
I think the answer is yes, but I don't know for sure. From one source, it says this:

"Sometimes luxury isn't about what you add, but what you take out. The 2019 Ram 1500 brings that idea to a new level through the use of both passive and active sound-suppression systems. Acoustic glass is the first line of defense against unwanted outside noise. It's used to keep out wind and road rumble as well as additional auditory disturbances that could interrupt the tranquility of the cabin.
Any unwanted noise that makes it past the glass is met with another piece of ingenious technology: active noise cancellation. In the Ram, that means four separate microphones in the cabin that detect undesirable noise and then actively broadcast sound waves through the speakers to cancel out the offending sounds. You'll never hear it working, but you'll certainly hear the difference."

Looking up how active noise cancellation works, it appears it takes in a certain range or frequency and then sends a noise that is 180 degrees out of phase with the intruding waves which cancels out the noise we don't want to hear.

The part I don't know is, does that cover the whole frequency range? If it did, it would seem like all noise would be canceled so then maybe it's just lower frequency in the case of the Ram system? Anybody know?

I'm about ready to drop some cash for a new muffler, but I am loving the quiet so much, I'm kind of nervous to get a louder muffler. As an FYI, I had a 2009 Ram and I put an 18" Mufflex muffler setup on it and it was near perfect, though some drone at 70-ish. It wasn't too bad. Thoughts?

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "still work"...
I don't see any reason it would cease functioning, but I would expect you to hear more sound in the cabin (it can only do so much...just like a "silencer" on a gun, it is a noise suppressor, not actually a silencer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PedalMonk

Reaction score
I guess I should clarify. Will it "know" there is more noise and work against this new noise from a louder exhaust? I get that there will probably be more noise in general but will it still cancel out some of the newer noise?

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
I guess I should clarify. Will it "know" there is more noise and work against this new noise from a louder exhaust? I get that there will probably be more noise in general but will it still cancel out some of the newer noise?
I have a borla s type on my truck, and the exhaust is somewhat loud in the truck. I wouldnt say road noise is louder because it's pretty quiet in there when the truck is cruising in 8th. It wont cancel out your new exhaust.

mikef70

Reaction score
I have a borla s type on my truck, and the exhaust is somewhat loud in the truck. I wouldnt say road noise is louder because it's pretty quiet in there when the truck is cruising in 8th. It wont cancel out your new exhaust.
i have a 2019 big horn with active noise and my borla exhaust was really loud. i have the s-type on my 2018 ram and its perfect. i put on the touring on my 2019 and i had to take it off .

Users who are viewing this thread